• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

inner tie rod changing on SVT Contour

avengerc4

CEG'er
Hi. I rented the inner tie rod removal tool from advance and was going to change my fronts. I took off the boot, and the little tube that the boot connects to. I see if their are splines on it and there are not.

Question.

Can I just use a dremmel and cut those splines in? Also do I need to do anything else besides make the splines and remove the tie rod on the SVT? I have been reading threads and watching videos of all these other cars cause I can't find ANYTHING on a contour or SVT for that matter. Anything special I need to be aware of? Thanks.

I bouight MOOG endlinks and it came with a small packet of grease or something. Didn't read the directions as of yet but it doesn't seem like I need to actually grease anything? Do I? Where would that be?

any help would be appreciated. thanks.
-Joe

I searched and have no idea why I couldn't find that thanks. I guess I'll have to use a dremmel and cut into the inner to get it out. unless I can rent that circular one from advance or something.

Also what is this travel re-stricter they are talking about with the SVT's? is it just that yellow plastic clip behind it? Or do I need to look for something else? thanks.

Its on the rack itself. its there so that the larger wheels/tires dont rub the inner fender, but many people have replaced bad SVT racks with standard V6 ones without any issues.

cool thanks man. Do you have a pic or description of what it actually is though?

And I'm not going to attempt this. I figured I would try to get the inner tie rod into the tool I rented and it doesn't fit so I literally took a cutting wheel and cut off the portion of the outter rod until it almost touched the threads, then I was able to FINALLY get it off. The nut is still stuck and won't budge but I don't think he'll need to get that off when he does whatever he does to change them. I wasn't gonna go out and pay 50 bucks to buy tools I will never use I hope. So I put that 50 towards maybe 75 he'll charge. Well hopefully it's cheaper

Back