• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

In need of some 3L info

What kind of times do the stock 3L hybrids run? i love drag racing, and would like to show up my step dad at the strip in his Corvette. Would that be possible? (94 Corvette LT-1 auto stock)

Well, no need to do a swap yet. The motor only has ~45K miles on it, and only about 5k since it was built and put in. If anything, i'll build a trans for it first, then build a motor on the side. That way, if anything breaks, i'll be prepared.

Where did you find the low mileage svt?

This^^^^sounds about right. I think 13.2 is the fastest so far but I am not 100% sure. Keep in mind these cars really aren't meant to be 1/4 mile beasts.

I havent been tuned for over two years now on my full 3 liter. Although I really need to get on that.

sure it will run, but its not the right way to do it. I know people have rigged up springs to make the IMRC function like normal to fool the PCM. however, from my understanding, the timing and fuel would need to be changed under the IMRC point because the engine is getting alot more air then it is expecting.

bottom line, after a 3L is installed it needs to be tuned. although ported 3L's will run just fine on the stock tune, they should get a tune also.

Last edited:
Know how I know you spelled function wrong? Lol

Anyways back on topic. Lol with a full3 liter, that solution doesn't pertain to me. And yes, the timing and fuel would need to be adjusted to compensate for my IMRC delete.

What kind of times do the stock 3L hybrids run? i love drag racing, and would like to show up my step dad at the strip in his Corvette. Would that be possible? (94 Corvette LT-1 auto stock)

With intake and exhaust mods I ran a 14.3 a while back. It was a hybrid build at the time. It has since been changed to a ported 3L and is definitely faster but I haven't been back to the track. My hybrid dyoned at about 195whp and the ported 3L dyoned at 220whp.

I'm posting to share my 2C. In my opinion, driving a 3L swapped Contour as a DD has to be a calculated risk. I've noticed a lot of disasters over the years from builders whom previously had good reputations.

But then, at this stage, any Contour as a DD may be a calculated risk in terms of reliability due to age.

Edit: If the drag strip is important to you, I'd strongly consider a different platform while you're shopping. In addition to relatively poor launch performance, hard launches also seem to be very, very hard on these cars.

It all depends on the car as to what build is better. The two full 3.0l's I had different power numbers. Pudmunkies car that I had pulled a lot harder than the one Blackcoog built. I don't think it was because of who built the car etc. They had similar mods, headers, ypipes, torsens, etc. Why were they different though...I don't know. I don't think someone can say one build is really better than another. TRicker was putting down 219 WHP in his full 3.0L...the blackcoog one I was driving was tuned to 180 whp. That is a 40 hp difference, both full 3.0L.

If you like it, buy it. It should be a good engine for a while. If not, you know all of us are willing to help you install a new one. :)

And don't launch these cars on a stock transmission. The diff's are like glass. If you get a Torsen, it helps a LOT. That would be my first mod for that car. Then headers and exhaust. After that you should be good.

I'm planning on having a Torsen installed. Not sure if i want to do it myself, or have someone else do it for me though. That's a tough call.

It all depends on the car as to what build is better. The two full 3.0l's I had different power numbers. Pudmunkies car that I had pulled a lot harder than the one Blackcoog built. I don't think it was because of who built the car etc. They had similar mods, headers, ypipes, torsens, etc. Why were they different though...I don't know. I don't think someone can say one build is really better than another. TRicker was putting down 219 WHP in his full 3.0L...the blackcoog one I was driving was tuned to 180 whp. That is a 40 hp difference, both full 3.0L.

If you like it, buy it. It should be a good engine for a while. If not, you know all of us are willing to help you install a new one. :)

And don't launch these cars on a stock transmission. The diff's are like glass. If you get a Torsen, it helps a LOT. That would be my first mod for that car. Then headers and exhaust. After that you should be good.

That full 3L was a 2001 3L built quite a few years back. The 2001-2002 3L always seemed to put out lower numbers. Not to mention the dyno that it was dynoed at read a bit low. There was 5 or 6 3L cars dynoed there (full and ported) and all were in the 175-185whp range which is pretty low.

That full 3L was a 2001 3L built quite a few years back. The 2001-2002 3L always seemed to put out lower numbers. Not to mention the dyno that it was dynoed at read a bit low. There was 5 or 6 3L cars dynoed there (full and ported) and all were in the 175-185whp range which is pretty low.

Was that the same hytech dyno Tricker went on? I also thought that the 01-04 were all the same. Didn't know that about the 01-02's.

No Tricker went somewhere else. HP was supposed to be the same for all years but 03+ had larger coolant passages, larger water pump, different intake manifold, plus a few other changes. Honestly, there isn't anything you would do to change hp for a full 3L swap other than bolt ons. You drop the sum ••••• in and hook it up.

I cant wait to see what kind of numbers this thing makes. i'll have to find some time to get it dyno tuned.

How can a full 3L make the same power as a 3L hybrid when the hybrid has a higher compression ratio and SVT cams? Does it have something to do with the valve size on the stock 3L heads?

Based on engine theory not real results, one of the best setups for these cars would be a 3L hybrid with very ported heads and maybe even 3L valves (although I believe I heard the 2.5L combustion chamber is too small to hold them) With this you retain the split port which will maximize output throughout the powerband and if ported will flow close to as much air as a full 3L. Also benefits from the higher compression, in theory this should be one of the best setups. It will also be the next engine I build when I have money

Back