• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IMRC Circuit Board Removal - Really This Difficult?

BoneStock99

CEG'er
I know its not rocket science but is it really that difficult to remove the glue holding the electrical connector to the housing? I chipped at that plastic glue stuff around the electrical connector for two hours with a gasket scraper, a razor knife and a wood chisel. Stupid thing won't budge not a thousanth of an inch.

Someone in another thread a while back said that the glue holding the connector to the housing was there as a weather seal. That's no weather seal - the little bead of silicone under the cover is a weather seal. That giant mass of glue around the electrical connector is there so that future civilizations will know how stupid we were. They'll go on archeology expeditions and dig up non-working IMRC boxes and marvel that a 1.5 inch circuit board is held down with five screws and that the electrical connector glue is designed to survive nuclear armageddon yet the transistor fails on every single car ever made. You could tunnel your way out of Alcatraz with a pocket knife before that thing comes apart. Maybe they should have made the IMRC transistor out of that glue and it wouldn't friggin' fail. Sunroof gears too, should have made them out of whatever that plastic glue is, then my sunroof would still work. And passenger side speakers.

Seriously, is it really that difficult to get the electrical connector apart from the housing or is the IMRC on ~my~ Contour like every other friggin' thing on this car, some wierd part that they only put on Contours between lunch break and quitting time on May 3, 1999? SVT calipers with some pads no one has ever seen off some Mercury, ten different kinds of fuel pumps depending on how drunk the guy was who put the fuel tank in the car. Oh, and make exactly one spare part for every part on the car and stock it in the middle of friggin nowhere like North Dakota where no one lives, except for the turn signal switch - yea, make like ninety thousand of those. That'll be good. Yea, that's a great idea.

So... how do you chip away at that stuff without stabbing yourself in the hand with a chisel?

-Tim-

Wait, I know how to get it to come apart.

I'll drive way far away from my home to another state where I don't know anyone and go to a rural area where there is no cell phone reception. I'll drive the car low on gas and make sure that I'm late to catch a plane for a critical business meeting, try and find a spot where its a ten mile walk to the nearest store and wear a $500 suit and my good Johnston & Murphy english dress shoes and make sure that it's raining.

Then it will come apart. Guaranteed.

Multiple, like in 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 passes? I'm 47 already. I don't know that I have that many years left to live.

Maybe I could hire a kid from up the street to sit there and scrape it.

Wait, I know how to get it to come apart.

I'll drive way far away from my home to another state where I don't know anyone and go to a rural area where there is no cell phone reception. I'll drive the car low on gas and make sure that I'm late to catch a plane for a critical business meeting, try and find a spot where its a ten mile walk to the nearest store and wear a $500 suit and my good Johnston & Murphy english dress shoes and make sure that it's raining.

Then it will come apart. Guaranteed.
lol, thats the Ford way.

This thread is awesome.

roflcopter.gif

Yah I know what you mean. I just had some trouble with mine. It would strat and drive just fine, but wouldn't idle for anything. It would just rev down and stall, unless I'd give it some gas or I was driving. Boy that's a whole lotta fun with a stick in traffic. I finllay get to work and was able to take alook at it. It ended up that a plug in a "y" pipe that goes between the I.A.C. and the intake bellows fellout. There's also a resitnator the size a large pill bottle that's attached to the bottom of the "y". I went into the dealer to see how much I'll be. They weren't able to find it in any of there part list or diagrames. So the guy took my name, number & vin, and was gonna call ford to find out. The guy calls me a week later and tells me that it says the part is no longer required, but they don't have anything to replace it or plug it off. So I just went to the hard ware store and got a plug and a clamp and fixed my self.

Back