• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: control arms for track use

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoopaCooga

Veteran CEG'er
Out of respect for Stangkiller, I waited until his group buy was done before posting this.

I have been in contact with a fabricator who is excited to bring to market the very control arms designed by Ford Racing for use by Mumm Brothers Racing on their Cougar. This fabricator, RPM Motorsports, specializes in producing parts for the racing industry, especially Mazdas. Here are some examples of what they have done: headers, intake manifold, roll cages, engine swap, powder coating, more powder coating.

Each arm will be truly tubular, made entirely from 4130 steel (a.k.a. chromoly), and TIG welded. The fabricator guarantees this piece to be unbreakable. Pricing will be around $800-$900/pair.

I have also requested that they produce the arms in mild steel using MIG welds, for those who are cost-conscious and have less demanding requirements. These will likely run between $600-$700/pair.

Pricing includes powder coating. The first set is scheduled for production this week. Many more photos will be posted then. Meanwhile, feel free to ask questions or simply :drool:

50.jpg

icysvt said:
only 2 bolt im going to assume right?

Probably. I asked about producing four-bolt arms, but that would increase the price even more. It would be more cost-efficient to install a two-bolt front subframe if you wanted these.

Those look nice, so it doesn't have a conventional ball joint?

Correct. That configuration is less desirable on the track.

BTW, I've also been asked about rear arms. I will inquire and post the response.

long waited update:

i found out that they have been quiet b/c they need to outsource one piece to a metal shop with a lathe: the threaded bushing on the end which replaces the ball joint. hopefully they will be able to procure them at a reasonable price. i also inquired about how the bushing will mate with the wheel knuckle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back