• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I will own a home

If it's appraised for under what you're paying for it, the bank pretty much won't give you the loan.
So yep, it r gud. :)

SSSSSOOOOOO, you need an oil tank eh? How does 1g sound? As for going to electric, oil is now under 2 dollars a gallon.....so whoever went to electric, ooops.....

so whoever went to electric, ooops.....
My parents have all electric in their house and couldn't be happier. There is a zone for every room in the house (10) allowing them to conserve energy even though the actual cost per kwh is more expensive. I'm hoping to help them convert someday to alternative sources, which an all-electric house is easier to do.

Yup. Very good, except maybe for property taxes. :laugh:

But bank assessment (for the loan) and town assessment (for the taxes) are completely different numbers. You want the bank assessment as high as possible because the difference between that and what you owe is your equity, right?

I could be totally wrong, I'm new to the home-buying scene.

But bank assessment (for the loan) and town assessment (for the taxes) are completely different numbers. You want the bank assessment as high as possible because the difference between that and what you owe is your equity, right?

I could be totally wrong, I'm new to the home-buying scene.

I work in the auditors office and do a decent about with taxes. For here, might be different there, when a house is assesed, either by an asseser or by some other means for the sale of a house, that is given to the asseser and used to help evaluate the next years taxes ALONG with the actual sale price. Even though it sold for less than its appraised value, the taxes might still go up if the appraiser valued the house more than what it sold for. It is lame and confusing, I know. :laugh:

Seeing as newcat's family owns an oil delivery and service business I'm going with what he said. And that's a rare thing! :laugh:
See as how I know several people who filled up in the past couple weeks and talked to a book keeper on monday for an oil company...they all paid around $2.45 a gallon. It might be because of different grades of oil because of how cold it gets here vs there to prevent it from freezing.

I've been watching the company I always fill from and I haven't seen it dip below $2.49/gal yet, and they're the cheapest place around here.
Must just be a location thing. :shrug:

We filled up a few weeks ago for $2.56 a gallon. Beats the hell out of four bucks!

We filled up a few weeks ago for $2.56 a gallon. Beats the hell out of four bucks!

My dad filled up in Sept at $3.75. Well he didn't fill up all the way because he figured that would be enough for a while. We filled his basement full of wood so he could burn it in the downstairs fireplace....it is hooked up to the forced air system so it heats it nice and evenly. Makes the whole house nice and toasty.

I've been watching the company I always fill from and I haven't seen it dip below $2.49/gal yet, and they're the cheapest place around here.
Must just be a location thing. :shrug:

hot damn!
I take that back. It's at $2.299 now. yee!
I'm so glad we didn't fill a few months ago.
I will probably top off the tank soon to take advantage of the low price.
I'm tempted to wait a little longer. :D

SSSSSOOOOOO, you need an oil tank eh? How does 1g sound? As for going to electric, oil is now under 2 dollars a gallon.....so whoever went to electric, ooops.....

that sounds right in line with what people said the price would be. I am requesting that the seller replace the tank. I think we are going to have to meet in the middle, just a feeling but if I do I am going to want to pick the place for the replacement and I would most likely go with your company.

The houses i did still can run on oil or electric, its their choice. But i bet oil will be more expensive then electric in the future :)

fuel oil is not under $2 a gallon

Well, it is here in CT...and yes, in MN they add an anti-gelling additive to prevent the oil from, well, gelling. They normally just add it at the house when the tank is on the outside to prevent this. However, the more remote you get the higher the cost to get the product there....will def. vary throughout the country just like gas.

did the house get appraised more than 20% higher than you paid?
if so, say goodbye to PMI, yay!

not that much. 6k more then what the mortgage is for and 10k more then the agreed purchase price since I am doing seller assisted closing.

actually it appraised for what it was listed at.

How many properties did you look at before putting the offer in?

We looked at a property today (second showing). We're going back tomorrow and may be putting an offer on after the 3rd showing. We've looked at probably 20-25 houses in person and ruled out about 100 in our price range and bedroom range online. We also ruled out a lot based on curb appeal by driving by.

actually it doesn't matter if your house appraises for 20% more than your mortgage amount on innitial purchase. if you don't put 20% of the puchase price down then you get to pay PMI and you can't opt out of escrowing your taxes and insurance. SOme mortgages FHA I believe you have to refinance to get out of PMI it doesn't automaticly end once you reach 20%. and on 80/20 loans the 80 is typicly a traditional fixed rate mortgage and the 20 is the junk variable rate high interest crappy terms.... but hey I put 3% down on my first house with seller paying some closing costs and now I'm stuck in the house couldn't even give it away....

but I still love owning houses I don't ever want to rent.

so congrat Brian the house looks sweet.... it sounds like you are paying attention. the real sobering part of buying a house is finding out how much your payment is after they add escrow...

How many properties did you look at before putting the offer in?

We looked at a property today (second showing). We're going back tomorrow and may be putting an offer on after the 3rd showing. We've looked at probably 20-25 houses in person and ruled out about 100 in our price range and bedroom range online. We also ruled out a lot based on curb appeal by driving by.

I think that I looked at about 3 open houses and then looked at maybe 6 places in person.

I spent alot of time looking at the places online. I reviewed the posted pictures, often from several different site. Then I reviewed the property from google street view and I also used the arial view in the microsoft live maps. I mainly used the Mlspulse webpage and it alerted me to new listing. I think I had found 40 or more possibilies this way. The plus here is I had it alert me to properties that meet my search requirments.

this home I looked at two times and drove by a number of times. the neighborhood and location also helped to sell me on it. felt very comfortable when I looked at it.

I have been looking since about the end of the summer.

the real sobering part of buying a house is finding out how much your payment is after they add escrow...

:confused: my estimate monthly payment includes everything, including escrow for the taxes and insurance. the closing costs also include the taxes and insurance that needs to be payed up front because by the time next year comes around I will have only made 10 payments.

the mortgage broker I have was very sharp and dead on with everything. I have the good faith estimate and all the numbers are where I wanted them .... well a lower monthly payment would always be better but what can you do ...

Back