• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I think I've outgrown the Baers

WizardSmoke_001.jpg

I should take a picture of the spiderweb cracking in my 996TT rotors. Those things are pathetic.

I should take a picture of the spiderweb cracking in my 996TT rotors. Those things are pathetic.

Honestly, any and every iron rotor will crack like that at some point. The harder you run them, the sooner it happens. It's ok to use them while they are like that up to a point. Drilled rotors get worse faster, but even plain face and slotted rotors will do it.

Honestly, any and every iron rotor will crack like that at some point. The harder you run them, the sooner it happens. It's ok to use them while they are like that up to a point. Drilled rotors get worse faster, but even plain face and slotted rotors will do it.

Amen. If a rotor isn't heat checking...your not workingit hard enough. FWIW, our failure criteria for rotor cracks is A) any crack that touches the inner or outter edge of the brake ring....and/or B) any crack that exceeds 2/3's of the brake ring height.

Normal spyder-web type heat checking, ever from cross drilled holes is no big deal.

-Todd

I was wondering about these calipers yesterday night......

How would the damn Brake Pads look that are getting installed into these...:crazy:

wow!

- amyn

The "some point" is the issue. The Porsche ones crack almost immediately. They don't even need hard usage. Porsche even says in the owner's manual how much cracking is acceptable before replacement is necessary (ie. when it goes from hole to hole, it's time to replace).

For what its worth, the AP Racing ones on my Noble haven't cracked yet, and I've used them pretty hard. First set of tires were Pirelli P-Zero Corsa DOT-R. Second set were Michelin Pilot Sport CUP DOT-R. Third set going on soon as I pick up new wheels. I think it might be a combination of effects though: 2300 lb car on 13" rotors + better rotor quality.

Back