• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I have a 2000 taurus motor

LostRacer

CEG'er
So here the deal. Some time ago (3 or 4 years) I purchased a car from a friend who was under the impression that he had an 03 Escape engine in his possession. He was willing to give it to me with the car. Cool beans. I 'll have one running cougar and one to prep for a swap. Fast forward to about a month ago. I finally get the assistance and balls needed to start working on the engine. Attempted porting the heads and fubarred it. Not realizing there was no water pump cam, I then purchased a set of heads from someone already ported (Thanks Sam) with the plan in mind to move my cams and timing components over to the new heads. Well as I did a little more discovering I noticed no water pump cam and the fact the the valve covers weren't shaped to accomodate them. This was no 03 engine. This wasn't even an Escape engine. I finally figured out that it is an 2000 Taurus engine. Now I'm on a quest to get info on it. I've only found 1 piece of info in regards to it and that was having to use an electric water pump due to the heads and timing cover. The new heads I received do work with the proper cams.

With all of that in mind, I pose these question:

1. Head gaskets: Would I get the ones for the taurus block or for matching the heads being mated?
2. Is there any other issues I should be aware of using this block?

Like I said...I've searched and cold find nothing in regards to this particular year. If you want to point me to a thread I'd be happy to look it over. I just want to really get this done.

Thank you.

getting another engine is NOT an option. Trying to work with what I got. :)

In case anyone missed the ported part, this will be port matched.

Sounds like your better off going hybrid 3l, I had read recently in a post (think blu_fuz posted) that it is not a good idea to bolt the new style heads on a old style block " it will leak " I believe were the exact words used.

Sounds like your better off going hybrid 3l, I had read recently in a post (think blu_fuz posted) that it is not a good idea to bolt the new style heads on a old style block " it will leak " I believe were the exact words used.

Ran my 2003 heads on a 2000 block for quite a few years. It should be fine. What would leak?

Sounds like you're good to go. Use the 2.5L valve covers. The head gasket should be the same for both - same bore and both oval port. If they're different part numbers I'd get them for the newer engine, who knows, they might have improved the design.

Back