• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I guess I need to learn to drive...

JesusFreak

Hard-core CEG'er
At the track tonight, racing with jjsvtc, somehow I can not get out of the 15.4 range. I can post the slips, but both times I had a .450 or so reaction time, and felt like I ran strong, but I guess not. Any helpful hints and tips, I have only made two passes in my life, and so far, not impressive!

I guess, if its any consolation, jjsvtc and his stock ride(bat trans, stage 2 clutch, and fidanza flywheel, and a k&n) was running 16.0 and 16.1...

We need help!

R/T has no effect on 1/4 mile times. 60 ft times are what help 1/4 times

At the track tonight, racing with jjsvtc, somehow I can not get out of the 15.4 range. I can post the slips, but both times I had a .450 or so reaction time, and felt like I ran strong, but I guess not. Any helpful hints and tips, I have only made two passes in my life, and so far, not impressive!

I guess, if its any consolation, jjsvtc and his stock ride(bat trans, stage 2 clutch, and fidanza flywheel, and a k&n) was running 16.0 and 16.1...

We need help!

IIRC 98's ran 15.6-15.7 stock.
99+00 ran 15.4-15.5

So you are running faster than what your model times were stock. Plus how many miles are on the car?

Also what was your rpms at when you launced? Did you spin your tires at all?

really didnt spin the tires at all, my 60 FEET times were 2.378 and 2.388, launch was abot 2500,

run 1:

R/T: .554
60': 2.378
330: 6.562
1/8: 9.972
MPH: 72.14
1000: 12.871
1/4: 15.324
MPH: 90.96

run 2:

R/T: .428
60' : 2.388
330: 6.598
1/8: 10.055
MPH: 71.03
1000: 12.980
1/4: 15.457
MPH: 90.43

Last edited:
15.3 is half a second off my stock time i ran a 15.7, i went on the first cold weekend of the month florida humidity sucks that is something else too consider, its not as big a deal on NA as it is on Forced induction but there a differance

If you ran the 1/4 mile in 15 seconds then how did you run your 60 seconds again :laugh:

It is 60 feet. not seconds lol

I was posting while in bed, after working a 11 hour day, and was tired, sorry!

And it was hot as hll out last night, you would sweat jsut standing there, and from what i understand, at drag strips they lay some stuff down for traction that they didn't use last night cause it was for the streetlegal not really fast guys! I don't know much about it... i think I am going to remove my 2 cats, and see if its too loud and see if they are restrcting my flow too much!???!

Joes machine ran slower last night, and this other guy who normally runs 15.5 was running 16.2 al lnight, so who knows, maybe it was too hot and the track was jsut slow?!

Will try again next time I go though...

well, stock clutch, i didn't want to push it too hard, i jsut talked with my mechanic, i do have a few issues that i need to fix:

a: my imrc cable is frayed very badly, like 2 wires is all I have holding it
b: tire size is not ideal
c: i had taken off my cold air box
d: i am going to put my stock maf pipe back on
e: my lower control arm bushings are shot, got new LCA that are going on monday, i was a littel gentle on launch because of that...

what rpm do most of you NA guys launch at?

Im gonna change out the IMRC bx with the other box I have with a good cable, gonna get a upgraded clutch, and lightened flywheel, and proper tire size, and we'll see if anythign makes a difference.

I also took my xcal2 and took the car back to stock, and there was no real difference in performance, so I don't know what my tune, its its ideal or not, and if I should have put an xpipe in my true duals?!

Get those odds and ends fixed, but back on point: What tires? At what psi? Stock diff? I did not see from your signature line. And about going from xcal2 back to stock tune, who had done your tune with the xcal2? If you ran your times on a stock tune, there have to be more ponies there. Don't know if a newer clutch will help that much.

Last edited:
i have a stock diff, i dont knwo for sure about the psi, but the tire size is 215 40 17, my shifts were fine i think, i made very deliberate shifts, i didnt leave it to chance about missing, so they were slower then they could ahve been, and the second run i took it all the way to 7200 and was shifting when i went through the markers... so that might have had soemthign todo with it...

i did take the box off, and the cable is about 1/3 inch longer then the box without the frayed cable, so i am sure that makes a huge difference...???

Can anyone tell me what the weight of e0's are comapred to konig unknowns 17X7.5? I am thinking about putting some different tires on those for the strip, dont know if its worth it or not though?!

To help with your r/t treat the last yellow as the green. The reason yours is so large is because it takes time for hands/feet to move and time for the the mechanics of the car to engage, so you need to "predict" the green.

the reaction time i know needs work, it will come with practice, these were my first two runs EVER!

And to answer, warmonger at nautilus did my tune, so I don't know, I might have done somethign wrong or something... I know he is THE guy to go for for all your tuning needs!

Last edited:
If you never spun your tires launching you never tried hard enough.

Is that thing actually tuned because with headers and etc it should be a good deal higher.

i know right... i thoguht it would be faster

and i didn't launch hard cause of stock clutch, and LCA bushings being shot!

Last edited:
My old SE did 15.1 with 150k miles and just a cat-back, SVT UIM and TB and an intake....original clutch and all season tires.

it's you...not the car most likely...

well, i think the imrc has something to do with it, i think not beating the clutch had something to do with it, but i still think my car is not as fast as it should be!

Last edited:
I was posting while in bed, after working a 11 hour day, and was tired, sorry!

And it was hot as hll out last night, you would sweat jsut standing there, and from what i understand,

Joes machine ran slower last night, and this other guy who normally runs 15.5 was running 16.2 al lnight, so who knows, maybe it was too hot and the track was jsut slow?!
I don't want to hear about how hot it is out there, Try being in the Desert during the summer where the humidity is instant swamp nutz and the temp seldomly gets below 85f and the mid day temp is usually 125+. with 80+ humidity. I'm cranky and hot I'm gonna stop ranting now. Sorry don't take it personnal.

it was over 90 degress with 90% humidity the other night, i wasn't complaining, I live in florida, thats what happens... I just was stateing all the facts to get as much help as I could, ya know...

it was over 90 degress with 90% humidity the other night, i wasn't complaining, I live in florida, thats what happens... I just was stateing all the facts to get as much help as I could, ya know...

I was just joking with you bro. I was ranting about how hot it is where I'm at, because I'm sick of it, unlike you I am complaining about the heat. lol

Back