• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I give the hell up

The amount the bolt actually stretches will not be visible to the eye, so how do you plan on determining if its in good condition or not?

Exactly! How many of you spouting off have been to engineering school and taken a machine design course, or even seen a stress-strain curve. Sure, you might get away with it, but I sure as hell wouldn't try.

^^^^

I give the hell up

Yeah me too

Exactly! How many of you spouting off have been to engineering school and taken a machine design course, or even seen a stress-strain curve. Sure, you might get away with it, but I sure a hell wouldn't try.

Ding ding, the only reason I'm stating this is because I've done extensive fastener testing for years. It was my job! lol

Hum, engineering class professor, ford engineers, and my engineering student friend, and bagged, and 3 other members who chimed in think otherwise.

TTY bolts are built to stretch out, I have reused a crank bolt in my Zetec car as well, I wasnt proud of it but it was midnight and I needed the car driving the next day, and it never gave me an issue. But its a $7 bolt to avoid a possible bigger problem, so I ended up replacing it asap.

This I didnt know; I thought the crank bolt on the zetec and duratec were the same, but I suppose since I am wrong it just makes this guy look more like an idiot, how do you eff up installing a crank pulley?
I wouldnt even call the duratec pulley bolt a TTY bolt has you only turn it 90 degrees AFTER it has been loosened one full turn from 120Nm and then tightened to 50Nm. this being said, ford says to use a new bolt and its not like its expensive so you might as well, although you could get by without the new bolt if you cant get one fast enough from Ford.

edit: the 97 CD doesnt even say to replace the bolt on the Duratec but the 2000 CD does.

sheesh. talk about going on a tangent... hey 95. good choice. i do have one itsy bitsy, teeny weeny piece of advice... if u do change ur mind and decide to mod this car again, DON'T POST IT! i'd hate to see what could possibly happen to u on here...:laugh:

bull F*** S***, Ive reused mine twice!

1. Took off to UDP
2. Took off again to take off UDP, installed stock crank

So alias, I call BS.

what is it about SVT Owners???
Most of the F***in members on here are a**holes with a personal vendetta against everyone else, "you just don't friggen listen" STFU, it's HIS car let him do whatever he wants, if he messes it up then OH WELL, Pull your head out of your a**es and be supportive and not a load of assholes.

F*** this i'm done with little elementary argumentative babies who have no excitement in their lives but to feel like a big man on the forums thinking your cars better.

To me, even if my car has problems I fix what I can when I can, it may not look like a perfect JEM but it gets my family to and from our everyday errands.

Get a life.

Most of the F***in members on here are a**holes with a personal vendetta against everyone else, "you just don't friggen listen" STFU, it's HIS car let him do whatever he wants, if he messes it up then OH WELL, Pull your head out of your a**es and be supportive and not a load of assholes.

F*** this i'm done with little elementary argumentative babies who have no excitement in their lives but to feel like a big man on the forums thinking your cars better.

To me, even if my car has problems I fix what I can when I can, it may not look like a perfect JEM but it gets my family to and from our everyday errands.

Get a life.

Well, uh, it just doesn't make sense to drop tons of cash into a car that can't even hope to perform as well as cheaply as a Contour SVT.

I can't really blame people for saying "don't do it" when it could very easily save someone from just blowing cash on a lost cause.

And you're talking as if you've been here for years. You have 19 posts. :shrug:

Shhhh.

*edit* It's spelled gem, by the way.

Get a life.

1. i dont own an SVT or even a v6 for that matter.
2. my comment wasnt even aimed at 95.
3. never said anything about my car being better.

what i actually was commenting about. Was alias jerk spouting off incorrect information. So how does that have to do with anything you just said? Did i write between the lines or something?

bull F*** S***, Ive reused mine twice!

1. Took off to UDP
2. Took off again to take off UDP, installed stock crank

So alias, I call BS.

I reused mine once, that was 106k miles ago. I know the duratec crank bolt is tty, not 100% possitive on the zetec but if it is tty it should be replaced each time its removed. now this doesn't mean that people don't reuse them anyway ....

edit: never mind I see striker says the bolt isn't, so it can be reused.

How come everyone says they are going to get a "good" car after college, but they never do?

I'd say because life comes along. Between paying off student loans, buying that first house, buying all the furniture you need, getting married, saving for the kids' college funds, before long, cars become very low on the priority list.

Along with the aforementioned wife and kids comes changing transportation needs...hello minivan, goodby sportscar. :laugh:

Get a life.
Tell us how you really feel, you sound like the one crying:shrug:

1. i dont own an SVT or even a v6 for that matter.
2. my comment wasnt even aimed at 95.
3. never said anything about my car being better.

what i actually was commenting about. Was alias jerk spouting off incorrect information. So how does that have to do with anything you just said? Did i write between the lines or something?

pwnt.

Not saying its right, but I have reused my crank bolt a couple times on my zetec with no problems. But I think I got the runt of the litter when my car was born. A runt that grew up strong and wont ever die. Lol

Not saying its right, but I have reused my crank bolt a couple times on my zetec with no problems. But I think I got the runt of the litter when my car was born. A runt that grew up strong and wont ever die. Lol

it was stated that the zetec crank bolt is not tty.

Back