• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

hypnoticracing's new car (formerly Squigg's)

But its all good the guy that's into he's cars and makes money doing is always gonna be the hated one. I'm sorry your into your car for more then you could sell it for and its not even a real svt. So cracka foo

wtf are you talking about? I don't plan on selling my car. I built it up because its my hobby, because I wanted to, because I like driving my car and thats what I wanted to do with it. I didn't build the car to try to sell it. I have an SVT also, so whats your point? I know I have put alot of money into it, again whats your point other then trying to bash me and not having it work?

I don't have an interested in flipping cars to make money. If I was I would make sure that everything was correct and done right. But we all know no one would pay that type of money for a contour. But it still doesn't make it correct to sell a potentially unsafe car.

yeah my work pertains to military equipment that protects this country also, what does that have to do with anything? I wasn't comment on the specifics of the job itself, I was commenting that engineers have to take courses on ethics, and that I abide by them and I feel that it isn't right to sell a car that is possible unsafe. I don't keep up on everyones personal life, but that last I knew you where either not working or working for UPS or something like that, hence why you started flipping cars. But again I wasn't talking job specific, just commenting on having to be ethical and how not being ethical can cost lives. many documented cases about this over the years. It surely applies to other job fields, but again its part of engineering education, in just about ever course too.

oh and on the mod thing .... your the one that started this all with your comments about not needing brake springs, when in reality you do. So your the one that took the thread off topic. Also I wasn't the only one that said anything about selling an unsafe car.

guys, it's one thing to discuss brake clips in this thread - that's definitely on topic.
The ethics discussion and calling each other out is definitely steering off topic, and really shouldn't be discussed here at all.

I don't care who started it. Take it to pm's.

I'm done at this point .... the point has been missed/lost it seems. there is a difference between building a car for someone that knows whats going on and build one to sell to someone that doesn't know whats going on.

as for brake clips, they are needed and should be used so that brakes work correctly.

Last edited:
I'm done at this point .... the point has been missed/lost it seems. there is a difference between building a car for someone that knows whats going on and build one to sell to someone that doesn't know whats going on.

as for brake clips, they are needed and should be used so that brakes work correctly.

Agreed the clips are needed but not 100 needed for temp use. I don't think that the clips would make this car not have brakes. Sound more so master cyl or something.

Agreed the clips are needed but not 100 needed for temp use. I don't think that the clips would make this car not have brakes. Sound more so master cyl or something.

not worth the risk of temp use imho. do it right or don't do it at all. are the clips the whole problem, who knows, but it could be part of it.

Then you will be selling an unsafe car. :nonono:

While one clip was missing, the rest of my brakes were intact. I would have gotten thousands of miles more out of those pads if they weren't twisted sideways.

Yeah, because these are single piston floating calipers, the spring clip on the outside pad keeps the pad secured to the floating bracket when the brakes are not applied. When the brakes are applied, the piston presses the inside pad against the rotor, and pulls the floating bracket which houses the outside pad against the rotor. There are 2 sliding pins that the floating bracket slides on to keep it parallel. The outside pad can get cocked one way if there is no spring clip, causing it to contact the rotor when the brakes aren't applied. It’s probably not noticeable while driving, but will wear them down faster and in a wedge shape, not flat. Eventually during a braking event, the sliding pins are going to have a hard time keeping everything aligned and one will bind and probably bend. What happened with rouar's car is one of the sliding pins became bent right at the shoulder (the sliding pins are basically shoulder bolts). Luckily, I was able to salvage his caliper and slide pin. I tapped out the hole in the caliper and straightened the slide pin in a vise and ran the threads through a die.

You probably won't lose brakes, but more than likely it will pull to one side while braking. That could get scary in an emergency braking situation.

We also had one fall off Kim's Cougar shortly after working on them, and we knew right away. There was a rattling while driving (summer time, windows down). The outside pad was rattling in place while it dragged against the rotor. Luckily we fixed it before anything got damaged.

FWIW, I hate putting the clips back on. Biggest PITA, but no matter how pissed I get (calling inanimate objects select 4 letter words) I'll always put them on. By the time I'm done I have a technique down, but I forget it the next time around.

Ok Cobra, shut up, no one cares. Gotta try to stay below 1000 post in ten years.............

the clips helped a ton witht eh pedal, still need to re bleed the system, went over the car yesterday needs both front wheel bearings and both rear springs. but with all that im still at under $1000 total investment

the clips helped a ton witht eh pedal, still need to re bleed the system, went over the car yesterday needs both front wheel bearings and both rear springs. but with all that im still at under $1000 total investment

depending on how bad the wheel bearings are they can cause brake issues. I believe it would be simmilar to having a loose axle nut. the rotor wobbles and pushes the pads out and will cause the pedal to go to the floor the first time its pressed.

depending on how bad the wheel bearings are they can cause brake issues. I believe it would be simmilar to having a loose axle nut. the rotor wobbles and pushes the pads out and will cause the pedal to go to the floor the first time its pressed.

Yeah, it can definitely cause braking issues. I had it happen when my hub went bad and the axle nut kept coming loose. The rotor was tapping against the caliper bracket and slowly grinding it down. My pads were low so they didn't even touch it, but if they were newer, the pads would have been the first to be damaged.

I'm not sure about no clips on the caliper causing brake failure, but I know having the clips installed wrong will cause them to fail completely. My 00 SVT couldn't even hold itself with the pedal to the floor in the driveway. It rolled back and bumped the car behind it the first time I tried it.

well i am taking to to my uncles shop this weekend to do all the work at once. the drivers side bearing is really bad.. when i jacked it up i could see it rock lol. when i got the car he also had the RR ebrake cable touching the tire and the RR rubber brake hose stuck between the strut and tire because the grommet to hold it to the strut was missing

Back