• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hvac Switches(coloring)

D

devanmc

So i have heard(and seen) both things about changing the color of the Hvac switchs.

So what is the problem with getting the green off the back ?

Also, can someone shed some light on the correct, if any, way to do this?

Seeing as those who say they have done it, dont say how they have done it or just say it worked for them.

I would personally like to take out all the green(Dash, Light switch,HVAC) And make them blue. Is there a how toor can anyone give me advice?

well mattR is doing a group buy for the cluster and switches. But you could use the link above for hvac

Im intertested but id really like to just make them, I have time but no money LOL

then get some junkyard switches, and read through the group buy thread. It is listed somewhere. What # bulbs to use.

***now can someone make a controbution on topic? :blackeye:

The green behind the hvac just doesnt come off as well as it does on the gauges from what others have said. What I did was get new red lit, white letter, black faced HVAC and Headlight switch overlays from s&h autotrends. The problem with them is they kind of suck at business. I didnt have any problem with them, but lots of people did. So I got the new faces, then for even better color, I soldered and glued red LED's behind the faces.

It worked out well for me because I went with white letters and black faces. If you go with white faces and black letters, everything becomes hard to read because of the specific way the text has to illuminate.

The green behind the hvac just doesnt come off as well as it does on the gauges from what others have said. What I did was get new red lit, white letter, black faced HVAC and Headlight switch overlays from s&h autotrends. The problem with them is they kind of suck at business. I didnt have any problem with them, but lots of people did. So I got the new faces, then for even better color, I soldered and glued red LED's behind the faces.

It worked out well for me because I went with white letters and black faces. If you go with white faces and black letters, everything becomes hard to read because of the specific way the text has to illuminate.

yeah, i deal with light "bleeding"(as ill call it), all the time with making videos at school. Blue back ground and yellow txt is the easiest to see. white back ground and black letters is one of the hardest.

i take a look at them

I haven't found a way to do it. It's the thinnest and crappiest material in the car. Even the ATX panel is doable with careful sanding, and it's pretty thin. So does the SRP one have to have the stocker behind it, or does this totally replace the current one?

It totally replaces it. I have a full set of those (HVAC and HL surround) in my SE. Actually the HL surround burned out about a month ago, so I just made it white-faced. This is the only problem I've encountered in my attempt to make all my green lit guages/switches in my SVT blue. I hope we can get something figured out because I like the white face sticker I have on my HVAC now, so if I could just get it lit blue, it would be perfect!

are you wanting something like mine?
Picture013.jpg

Last edited:
daamn i like that. howd you do all that?
all the gauges are LED bulbs bought from autolumination.com. the HVAC, clock, and defrost switch are all custom soldered LEDs and resistors. the ONLY part of any backing i touched was the red on the hot/cold selector so that it can be seen at night.

Last edited:
are you wanting something like mine?
Yes! I want something exactly like that. How did you get them to turn blue without cutting any of the film? Are the LED's that bright?? I had been wanting to do something like that since I had my SE, but thought it would be a PITA. Gosh that would be awesome in my SVT. Please PM me how you did that!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Back