• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Humming noise from the front, gets louder with speed

Not Brian

CEG'er
So yeah, wheel bearings are shot. I've only replaced front hubs on one vehicle ever, a Trailblazer SS, and it was 3 bolts, an axel nut, and a lot of cursing. Can somebody point me towards a how-to and maybe some parts needed?

These are a little more difficult. You pretty much need a hydraulic press, or to take it to a shop that has and can use one.

The bearing is pressed into the steering knuckle. Then the hub is pressed into the wheel bearing.

Honestly, unless you have very easy access to a press, I would just go over to Pick 'N Pull and grab an entire knuckle/hub assembly whose bearing moves smoothly and tightly, and replace the whole thing in one piece. I think they charge about $25 for them.

These are a little more difficult. You pretty much need a hydraulic press, or to take it to a shop that has and can use one.

The bearing is pressed into the steering knuckle. Then the hub is pressed into the wheel bearing.

Honestly, unless you have very easy access to a press, I would just go over to Pick 'N Pull and grab an entire knuckle/hub assembly whose bearing moves smoothly and tightly, and replace the whole thing in one piece. I think they charge about $25 for them.

Very good advice. Only one "caution" comes to mind here......when not under load, the bearing in the knuckle/hub assembly may appear to be A-OK. Upon install and subsequent driving, a rude awakening takes place. Of course labor is free as a DIY'er. Good advice B3NN3TT, as usual!

Thanks for the info. I'd rather install a new one than roll the dice with junk parts, especially if it means wasting a Saturday in the cold just to find out it's garbage. Looks like I'll need to open my wallet for this one.

You shouldn't have to open your wallet too far hopefully. My cost for a national bearing, 3 year parts and labor warranty, and a shop removing the old and pressing the new one was only like $130

If you, or anyone else decide to do it yourself, please know that it can be done with a lot of banging, and in my case, a lot of cursing. If you find that you have the outer race lodged in the steering knuckle, and have exhausted your strength and vocabulary, a smaller shop may help, at significantly less cost, to remove the bearing, and or, remainder. I found a shop near me who did it for $10. But they are certified gear heads who race every weekend, so they have all the tools needed. Auto Zone does loan tools to set the bearings (with a deposit), and depending on the age of your Contour/Mystique/Mondeo, you will need to torque the hub nut in excess of 250ft lbs. My motto for front, and rear bearings, and hubs: "You got to bang it!" There are just no two ways about it.

Back