• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How's this for a victory?

rollinstylee

Hard-core CEG'er
Pretty ok with this season opener...
Aside from the W in class, I pulled 18th PAX out of 97 entries. The margin to the 2nd place ITR actually should have been wider save for a barely clipped slalom cone on the third run (44.558 raw).

results4-10NTR.jpg

The unspecified BMW is a modified new 135.

img_3249.jpg

Yeah I'll admit the championship-level Type R (and driver) was a pretty exciting kill. Just hope he doesn't get new tires. :D

Without knowing your sus/wheels/tires, not really haha. The Torsen will be a godsend for you, I need an LSD badly. Just can't justify it when I can win without it and my stocker is intact. Just drive the ever living crap out of it but smoothly. Brake hard before turn-in and only ease throttle everywhere else to tighten your line. Use the WHOLE width of the course, especially at the exit of turns, letting the car drift toward that last outer cone as you roll the power on through apexes. Not many people "straighten out" the track as much as they should.

And finally, don't be afraid to hit cones. Everyone is at first, it's only natural. But my philosophy now is if I don't cone any of my runs, it means I could've gone faster. Have fun!

I'm glad to hear the torsen will finally come in handy. :D As for as wheels/suspension/tires. I'm on the BAT Euro Kit and stock E1s with 215/50/16 tires. My dad has done AutoX before and used to race go-karts/GTIs. I'll probably be running ~40 psi in the tires. Hope i do good!

Ok so you don't really have sus adjustability, that makes advice easier! I have adjustable Konis that I dialed in over a few events last year, camber kits, and an alignment also set by almost a year's worth of fine-tuning in my garage. Also a 21mm rear sway bar. Tire pressures are always changing based on the track conditions, but take it easy on the rear pressure. Your fronts may need close to 40psi (all seasons? summers?) but I run pretty low rear pressure to keep them compliant and grippy. I have the rear toe and rebound damping worked out to handle the rotation duties, so I don't need high pressure for balance so much. Your results may vary. Good luck, you'll have a blast.

Tire pressures are always changing based on the track conditions, but take it easy on the rear pressure. Your fronts may need close to 40psi (all seasons? summers?) but I run pretty low rear pressure to keep them compliant and grippy..

I'm on Hankook Ventus HRIIs. They're all-season tires. The closer it gets to Sunday, the more nervous i get. LOL

nice job on the W. are you going to make it out to any divisionals or nationals this year?

SVTRacer dont be nervous. show up early, and walk the course with someone that is experienced. the biggest, and i mean biggest thing is just remember its your first time, you more than likely wont win. Go out and have fun, worry about winning once you get used to driving events

Nice work, Ben. I didn't make it out to Trails for this, but I'm hoping to at least come and watch most of the Ackerman events this year. I'm going to run a few events with UFO this summer to get my autocross legs, then maybe crack the SCCA events next year.

I'm on Hankook Ventus HRIIs. They're all-season tires. The closer it gets to Sunday, the more nervous i get. LOL
Dude! Those are the exact tires I first autocrossed on too! What are the odds? They're absolutely miserable! LOL...yeah so mine were 215/45/17s. You'll want to run about 40 in the front to start for sure. Just for reference, I did my first three events ever on those and was running mid- to back-of-pack in STX, then decided autocross was fun enough to spend a little money on and got 235/45/17 Dunlop Star Specs on 7.5" wheels and instantly dropped over 2 seconds per 40 second run (relative to the competition) with no other changes.
nice job on the W. are you going to make it out to any divisionals or nationals this year?
Nah, not that hardcore about it. NTR is already pushing my limit of travel for 4 minutes of racing. I'm glad they're mostly at OSU this year. You gonna make it to any OVR local events?

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Trying to keep the SVTC motorsports-relevant, one event at a time. :cool:

Thanks! I chose the 45 profile because I wanted the taller gearing. It lets me get through the first turn on many courses in first gear rather than having to short-shift before it. As a bonus they were also considerably less expensive than the more popular 40 profile.

No problem man! Ah, I see. I would've thought the the 40 series sidewall would be better for the quick transitions of autocross, but you do make a good case for going with a 45 series for gearing and cost lol.

i wont be making any ovt events since they didnt get a divisional this year. i think it was a 5-6 hr drive for me

andy just jump into the scca events, its not that much different that what we ran at fest other than some more people

I appoligize for a "thread-jack", but I figured I'd keep the "victories" in one place. :D

If you remember, I did my FIRST AutoX event this past Sunday (the 18). I GOT THIRD! And, let's just say I'm addicted. It was SO MUCH FUN!:laugh:

Here's pics of my class/cars and times. I'll have all the pictures/vids uploaded in the correct place in the forum.

I'm M. Mccoy(177), and my dad is M.A Mccoy(77). My buddy is J. Marreno(26)
086.jpg

2nd row is me, 3rd Row is my Buddy, and the last row is my dad.
095.jpg

One of me:
074.jpg

More in Pics/Vids

Last edited:
Awesome! No complaints about the hijack here! We can make this an official autocross victory bragging thread. :laugh: What class did you run, and were there 5 drivers? At any rate, great job for a first outing and I'm glad to hear you're hooked. Now just stay away from track days if you want to maintain that addiction for a while! Feel free to link to your pics thread here, I don't see them in that forum yet.

Back