• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how to remove axles from the cd4e

contourj

New CEG'er
i am pulling the engine and transmissoon from my car and replacing them with another set. i dont have much if any clearance under the car so will be pulling them with a cherry picker. Only problem is I can't fugure how to remove the drive axles from the auto transmission. is there a specific tool i need?

Will also need to remove the axles from the manual trans as well. Same tool?

Also, I will be replacing the 2.5l/atx with a 2.0/mtx so will the axles for the mtx mount into the chassis/hubs of the car or will i have to transfer over the hubs as well?

This...

OTC7509_l.jpg

Rent it from autozone... slide hammer with CV joint puller

Not sure on the hubs... would think Ford would have been smart and used the same ones...

i use a crow bar between the transmission case and the cv joint. it's a little tight on the drivers side but i've found it's a lot easier than the slide hammer. also dropping the engine and trans out the bottom with the subframe is stupid easy. it's the only way i will ever do it again.

This...

OTC7509_l.jpg

Rent it from autozone... slide hammer with CV joint puller

Not sure on the hubs... would think Ford would have been smart and used the same ones...

Thanks for the suggestion,

about ford using the same parts..... You do remember this is the same company that made 4 different and incompatible atx for 98 and up duratecs.... Not to menton making them out of butter as well!!

Thanks for the suggestion,

about ford using the same parts..... You do remember this is the same company that made 4 different and incompatible atx for 98 and up duratecs.... Not to menton making them out of butter as well!!

it's not really 4 that are not compatible. yes there are 4 different two of the will interchange with each other. so long as the first 4 digits on the trans are the same they are compatible. and in 99 they actually have 6 different atxs that went into the contour with a duratec.

i use a crow bar between the transmission case and the cv joint. it's a little tight on the drivers side but i've found it's a lot easier than the slide hammer. also dropping the engine and trans out the bottom with the subframe is stupid easy. it's the only way i will ever do it again.

From the bottom would be easy if you don't break off sub-frame bolts. I could also not find a way to reach the steering rack bolts from under the car.

I used a thick cold chesiel between the case and axle to separate them. From the other side I put a small rod through the differential and tapped it with a hammer to remove the driver axle.

i've had my subframe bolts out several times with no issues and all you have to do is disconnect the steering column from the rack, easy peasy. or you could use about a 12 foot extension and go in through the top to unbolt the rack.

Back