• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How far did (would) you travel?

I found mine on the internet at an SVT dealer about an hour from where I live. When I got there, the price on the windshield was a couple thousand more than what I saw on the internet. I got it for the internet price. :cool:
Karl

i had to go to staten island.. no biggy.. about 1 hour there, the way back was kind of lame.. it was my first time driving a stick not in a parking lot. lol and it was in NY traffic. no stalls , but i said i was never gonna smoke in the car, and that lasted about 10 minutes in that traffic.

Drove from Rosemount, MN down to Mooresville, NC with the help of my dad and his 97 Expedition. Left Friday early afternoon and spent the night. Got up the next morning picked a trailer up from U-haul and towed the car back home with it's blown motor. Total trip was 2568.58 miles (which took about 38hours), because towing it back we didn't want to take it through the mountains of West Virgina. It was a long way, but I got the car for $600.

I bought my 1980 Turbo Monte Carlo in Roanoke VA. The trip back to Portland OR was about 3000 miles! That's a long way in a 25 year old car. It takes premium fuel only of course, and I only averaged 12mpg. I used an awful lot of oil and trans fluid too! It's doing much better now...that was in 2004.

I picked up my SVT in Kirkland, just outside of Seattle, about two hours away from here. That was in 2001.

I traveled 14 miles to the Subaru dealership in Allentown (PA).
A CEG'er had traded his SVT in for a WRX.

While we were in negotiations over the price, some guy called and said he would buy the car sight unseen. Since the sales manager didn't want to budge on the price I told him to go ahead and call the guy back and sell it to him. Boy was he shocked. I ended up getting it for the price I wanted. :D

Not for an SVT but I bet mine is the shortest trip. An elderly couple was putting the tour up for sale, but my mother and I found out before they even put a tag on it. BTW we were looking for my first car. We had a few things fixed on it before we got it.

Distance: 80ft round trip. :laugh:

At the time, I never even heard of a Contour before.

What a ride!

What a ride!

Flew to Austin TX to by my 2000 SVT and drove it home to Phoenix the next day. Can't remember the miles but took me 12 hours total.

Now it's time for someone else to take it home. Will put in the classifieds as soon as I get some pictures.

After 33 years of nothing but stick-shifts it looks like I have to get a slushbox! An hour of stop and go traffic every night is really aggrivating the plantar fasciaitis in my clutch foot.

I drove from Central VA to Silver Spring, MD (probably about 120 miles) to get my V6 5-speed Contour. I couldn't find one any closer. Drove my 96 loaded Eddie Bauer Explorer up, came back home with the Contour. :)

found it at a salvage yard 4 miles away, about a 10 minute drive round trip from my house.
Purchased it and it was brought home on a flat bed, and drove it into my drive way approximately 15ft. !!

I live in Ottawa, ON Canada. I took a bus to Chicago and drove my SVT home from Joliet, IL.

The scariest part of the trip was stopping in Gary, Indiana which I think has the 5th highest murder rate in the US, ahead of Compton. I felt like I was actually in San Andreas (of gta). It was late at night, and in drives desiato from Canada in his shiny black unplated car. The convenience store I stopped in featured 1 inch plexiglass and people were looking at me like I was a victim. I had no idea what Gary was like beforehand, it sounds pretty innocent...

Customs on both sides of the border were a little confused about why I would make such a trip for a Contour, but the agents who saw the car fell in love with it.

The car won me over on the trip home because it was so comfortable. I would have been okay with another 800 miles.

joliet is right next to planefield! we got our car right next to eachother!

1st csvt - i live in santa ana and the guy selling an early 99 worked in los angeles but worked about ten miles from where i live so we met near his work. i offered to drive him home, about an hour away, but he declined and took the train instead.

2nd csvt - couldn't find one i wanted for the right price as everything in a 200 mile radius was way overpriced or just plain tore up at the time. i found one in the ceg classifieds being sold by a marine about to deploy in camp lejeune NC for the price i wanted. my brother is and was stationed at fort bragg about 160 miles away. i had my brother check it out. i bought the car based on his report. the marine offered to drive it all the way to me just miles from the west coast because he had some training to do in arizona. i told him i would drive him to arizona and give him some money for the trouble but he was not allowed to make the drive when he asked so instead he met my brother again and my brother took it straight to the auto shippers and i got it about a week later.

I towed a trailer 12 hours to Maryland to pick one of mine up. I guess a good condition SVT, with Konis and GC's, for $300 bucks will make you do strange things. :laugh:

Back