• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HID's baby!!

VVME is good for the price. I put a kit in my roommates car a couple months ago and they are still looking awesome. I payed $60 shipped and got them from china in 3 days...:cool:

Ugh oh..don't let matt in here:laugh:

I've had my set for over a year now... I only wish i would of bought a set sooner!!

I have 3 sets of VVME's. All have performed well and not given me any trouble. I'd definitely buy them again. Can pick them up for $55 shipped off Ebay these days!

With that model you disconnect your headlight bulb and plug the connector into the box. Then the box has a new attachment to go to the HID bulb so it powers on when you turn the factory switch. No "wiring" really needed.

With that model you disconnect your headlight bulb and plug the connector into the box. Then the box has a new attachment to go to the HID bulb so it powers on when you turn the factory switch. No "wiring" really needed.

And people have had good luck with them huh? No burning of wires or major draw on the battery?

i've never had an issue with a kit like that. yes its better to have a direct connection to the battery, but i've had a kit with the plug and play setup last years with no problems, even when transferred between vehicles.

also there's actually less power draw as HID's are usually 35watts opposed to a traditional halogen bulb rated at 55 watts.

also there's actually less power draw as HID's are usually 35watts opposed to a traditional halogen bulb rated at 55 watts.

Most people don't realize that part... the better lamp technologies put out more output per watt, so an equivalent brightness uses less power. Halogen put out more light and a higher color temp... find some older cars floating around and they might have some non-halogen lamps still working... then one gets replaced by a halogen and it looks way brighter.

As far as I know, the best light output per watt is a low pressure sodium lamp, but produces a not-so-useful monochromatic golden color (like some LEDs are). What that means is that everything is either yellow or shades of gray (like holding a piece of notebook paper, the paper itself is yellow and the lines are gray)... Not a coincidence, but they also last the longest :p They use it in Germany a lot, though, and near observatories cause it's easy to filter out the monochromatic light ;)

BTW, almost all streetlights are HIDs (with some cities testing LEDs), the yellow ones are high pressure sodium and the ones with a greenish tint are mercury vapor with the white ones being metal halide (which are just mercury vapor with some halide salts that give off the colors missing to make a nearly white light... just like how all white LEDs are blue LEDs with a phosphorus coating).

I imagine car HIDs are metal halide due to the color.

Back