• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HID Questions

contourkid

CEG'er
Are HIDs illegal? Are there any "legal" kits?

Has anyone put HIDs into fog lights? Just an idea. I have seen the angel eyes, which are sweet, but I would hate to have lights that didnt match, HID lows and stock highs would not be prefered by me. I like everything to match, so any help would be great.

To add on another note, how hard is it to do a Double Projector Setup? I was looking at having two different "levels" of lights, particularly similar in color, just my high beams will be brighter then the others.

Wiring figures that have been worked out or found out would be sweet. Im a sucker for paint, not alot of expectations to live up to

Thanks

CK

What are these foglights you speak of? :laugh: Yes it can be done. You need to make your own bracket for mounting them though. These are like $65 a light or so.
DSC02128.jpg

YES!!! those are much cooler then what I had imagined lol. a step by step would be amazing, or i will try my best to do one when I get the money.

CK

To answer the first part, technically, yes, they're illegal. If the car does not come equipped from the factory, then it is. Most cops let them slide, but if you get pulled over for it, a ticket can be issued if they feel like slidin the douche card. This question was asked in my local race forum here.

What Color ar the fog/projectors that you have? I really want a Blue-ish color all around. Blue Lows and Blue-ish Highs, and Blue fogs

HM, Could I use Bi-xenons for all four lights and then use the projector fogs. I think the Quad lows and Quad highs would be the bees knees lol

CK

Well its mostly for the reacon, I dislike things that dont match, they eat away at me over time. I dont like that my fenders dont match GRR.

It will be fixed eventually... If it isnt sold before then. I had a kid offer me 5k for it, and it made me ponder... I told him that if he buys it, he would Have to subscribe to this site, and or FCO.

May take it may not, lol

CK

Well its mostly for the reacon, I dislike things that dont match, they eat away at me over time.

You realize that NO one with sense (and experience) runs HID highs. The reason is the slow charge time (it takes 15+ seconds before they are close to full brightness) and the fact that you will kill them fairly soon buy the natural on/off when you pass other cars (the salts inside them are picky, and must cool before being heated again)

What are these HID foglights you speak of? :laugh: Yes it can be done. You need to make your own bracket for mounting them though. These are like $65 a light or so.
DSC02128.jpg

I remember a thread that someone (Pud?) had linked projector fogs that were $120 each, or was that for the pair? I forgot to save the link, but could you link a web site that sells the ones you use?

From what I know HID kits themselves are ILLEGAL. It is illegal to have HID in cars that did not come stock with them, as they will most likely cause unneeded glare to oncoming traffic. If you really want HIDs, do an Projector retrofit. If you have a 98+ model, it is farily easy with some E55 3" projectors. That's what I did, great light output.

HID foglights, get projectors as well.

From what I know HID kits themselves are ILLEGAL. It is illegal to have HID in cars that did not come stock with them, as they will most likely cause unneeded glare to oncoming traffic. If you really want HIDs, do an Projector retrofit. If you have a 98+ model, it is farily easy with some E55 3" projectors. That's what I did, great light output.

Well, actually that is what I have.

It's not illegal to retrofit a car not originally equipped with HIDs, the illegal part comes in when you put HIDs in headlights not DOT approved for HIDs.

If you retrofit your car with HID headlight housings or HID projectors, then you are golden.

Back