• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hi guys Contour days may be numbered

Stephen Fischer

New CEG'er
Yes thats right I might decide to part ways with the contour this summer. It needs repairs that dont justify what its worth. Its a hard decision to make as i love the car but there comes a time in a cars life this happens. Its a 1998 Contour Se and it needs all 4 struts, front pads( just replaced the wheel bearings and new rotors 2 weeks ago, $724.00, 0uch) , 2 front stabilizer links and after all this a 4 wheel alignment to the tune of just under $3000.00 OUCH OUCH!!!! I am looking at getting a Ford F150 Supercrew. Need to grow a money tree!!!!!!!!!!

two estimates

two estimates

I have gotten 2 estimates and are very close. I have priced the parts wholesale and its close to $1000.00 and i dont have the tools to change struts

Those quotes are pretty high. I had all of that work done on my 95 over the last couple of years and didn't pay that much. Lancaster Auto and Cousin Edy's garage will give you low prices and their work has been pretty good for me. Let them know that you want to pay as little as possible in cash. Cousin Edy will try to beat anyone on struts.

These are all standard maintenance items on cars today. Pretty hard to avoid having those things done during ownership unless you buy new or shop for a used car that has recently had all of that work done.

If you sell and buy another used car, you might find yourself right in the same boat again. However, if you get the work done and maintain your car well, those repairs might give you another few years.

http://local.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=lancaster+auto+centre,+ottawa+on&ie=UTF8&z=12&iwloc=A&om=1
http://local.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=cousin+edy,+ottawa+on&ie=UTF8&z=14&iwloc=A&om=1

Last edited:
maybe

maybe

I will definately go see them next week and see what they say as i will be on holidays. Thank you for the info Desiato. There is only 181,000 kil. on the car.

I will definately go see them next week and see what they say as i will be on holidays. Thank you for the info Desiato. There is only 181,000 kil. on the car.

Keep it! Make sure the springs get changed out while your at it too!

Not sure why people keep thinking when regular maintenance/wear items come up that its time to bail on the car. If thats all thats wrong with it, your way better off fixing the car up and keeping it. You buy another car and who knows what could go wrong/is wrong with it. You'll likely just end up spending a large amount of cash up front for the vehicle and than have to do the repairs you just got rid of with the old car.

My car just rolled over 190K kilometers and needs springs, suspension work, a new bearing, exhaust, but after that is fixed up the car will be fine and ready to go for another 50K.

well the deal is done!!!!

well the deal is done!!!!

I have traded the Contour in on a 2005 Ford F150 Supercrew Lariat. It was a deal I could not refuse. The car was just not justifiable at this time , some other items were popping up also and I needed a more reliable vehicle and there is truth to men and there trucks!!!! I will miss the Contour immensely and it served me well, an awesome car to drive. I pick up the truck tomorrow evening in Smith's Falls. I will not disappear from here as this is a great site with great people who are very helpful anytime its needed, a lot of info is shared on here which is fantastic. Now its on to another adventure with my truck and my wedding this Sat.

Back