• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HELP!!! Timing chain broke????

Well I installed the new starter in about 45 minutes and once everything was hooked up I turned it. It actually sounded like it was trying to start but it still felt a little week. So I stuck the plugs in just to create a better seal for compression and now it actually feels mostly normal. I can feel the motor turn and hear the pistons move. Before it was just a flat turn of the motor with no feeling or any other sounds(you guys saw the video). I'm going to do all the other work I planned on now and hopefully when I get it back together she will start up! Thanks for everyone's help and I'll update once I get her back together. Thanks to everyone again!

i have been having 'tour issues too.

mine died on road to work a couple a months ago.

towed it back. thought what the hell, changed UIM/LIM gaskets cleaned everything super clean, replaced fuel filter, plugs, egr gasket, and said screw it (car sounded like yours) and bought a new starter. also CEL light stayed constantly on even when reset (by fuse and negative batt cable removed) -- scanned but found no codes whatsoever! also did oil in plug area for compression and other tests CEG'rs mentioned. no start.

put it new starter and now after the new starter install it has life but won't start. i tried to avoid it but gave in and took to mechanic who just called me 1/2 hour ago and told me the front cam isn't turning and will give me further diagnosis later this afternoon.

i will post after he calls me back. >=\

i have been having 'tour issues too.

mine died on road to work a couple a months ago.

towed it back. thought what the hell, changed UIM/LIM gaskets cleaned everything super clean, replaced fuel filter, plugs, egr gasket, and said screw it (car sounded like yours) and bought a new starter. also CEL light stayed constantly on even when reset (by fuse and negative batt cable removed) -- scanned but found no codes whatsoever! also did oil in plug area for compression and other tests CEG'rs mentioned. no start.

put it new starter and now after the new starter install it has life but won't start. i tried to avoid it but gave in and took to mechanic who just called me 1/2 hour ago and told me the front cam isn't turning and will give me further diagnosis later this afternoon.

i will post after he calls me back. >=\

Yea, I had both valve covers off and all 4 cams were turning fine. If your front one isn't turning I would assume that the chain on that side broke or the tensioner on the chain.
To update my issue, the car is almost back together, but I have a broken valve cover stud which I'm considering running without since there is another one close enough to cause the seal to hold. I'm hoping to start it up later tonight or tomorrow.

Bad news. Car still won't start but there is a chance it could have to do with the battery sitting in the freezing cold for exactly a month. I'm going to charge the battery tomorrow and cross my fingers like I never crossed em before...:nonono:

got thinking and thought - maybe camshaft/cranskhaft sensor??

seeing i had oil leak too maybe leaked on to it. i did clean them but didn't think bout testing/changing them ???

got thinking and thought - maybe camshaft/cranskhaft sensor??

seeing i had oil leak too maybe leaked on to it. i did clean them but didn't think bout testing/changing them ???

Can something like that really prevent the car from starting? Hmm I might have to look into that too. I'm going to start a new thread on this though since it seems to have ventured far from a timing issue.

Here's the new one:
http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=25301

Last edited:
well got word from mechanic.

said the front crankshaft gear broke.

quoted parts/labor/etc at $4300.

can this be easily replaced??

dam. wish car didn't have to go out now :(

wow, not sure if the valves on that cam are going to be damaged or not (is this an interference engine?) but what all is he quoting for parts at that $4300 price tag?

I am in the middle of doing head gaskets on my 98 SVT right now and it's not all that bad to get the timing parts off. If the valves are damaged then the head will have to come off which is a considerable amount of more work. It's doable but it is a lot of work.

Back