• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help please

Resto56

New CEG'er
I have a 1998 ford contour gl and now just found out that i have a P1744 code because my engine light came on yet everything i have read is my car does not jerks anymore from first to second it actually shifts better so this is the code that Checkers told me where the hell is this TCC Solenoid at in this car i have to change the tranny fluid already anyway, so if any one knows more about of this code i would really appreciated thank you a head of time for the help, i should probably become a mechanic after owning this car

it's behind the drivers wheel on the side of the trans. pull the wheel off and you can't miss it. however it can be a pain to get out and it can break pretty easily so be careful and take your time with it.

You can learn a LOT about what is causing that fault code simply by reading previous discussions. Plug it into the SEARCH tool and read up, starting with the oldest posts.

Replacing the solenoid alone will NOT fix it.

This is been really helpful i am reading different opinions which is good some have said that you don't have to get a rebuilt done just replace what is bad, others said rebuild but the guy at Checkers just told me that i should just replace the part that is bad but he also said that i can't change my own tranny fluid and filter on this so i am going to do some more search on this after i found out what tranny i got in this car.

Isn't that code for the TSS

Isn't that code for the TSS

P1744 I think is the code for the TSS, turbine speed sensor not the TCC torque converter clutch. If it is the TSS depending on how much rust you have is fairly easy and cheap to repair. The TSS is located on the left end of the trans mission, if you turn the wheels to the left, you should be able to see a couple of wires going into the left end of the trans in the drivers side front wheel well.

If you have a fair amount of rust it can be a bugger to get out. Unplug, remove the clamp bolt and clamp, then grab hold with a vice grips and try to pull it out in one piece. Once you get it out, clean up the bore and install the new one with the NEW bolt that comes with it.

You can change the trans oil if you really want to, but the filter requires you to pull the trans apart to do so.

If it is the TCC, you can replace the solenoid but that rarely fixes the problem. Typically you need to replace the torque converter.

well i am going to have my wife take it to Tanner Transmissions on monday and hopefully they can really tell me what it is and how much they will charge me too but i really thank ALL OF YOU GUYS FOR THE ADVISE THANK YOU VERY MUCH it has been helpful

P1744 means there is excessive slip being measured between the engine and the CD4E input shaft as measured by the TSS. A faulty (or incorrect) TSS may cause concerns, however, it's usually possible to differentiate between a faulty sensor and a faulty TC/VB during diagnostics.

In order to properly diagnose the concern, it is necessary to read the amount of slip and also to see if the torque converter is capable of locking.

The threads I suggested to find cover this pretty well and I'm not inclined to go into the details yet since they're easy to locate.

Well i have to say the car was taken to the tranny shop and i found out that what it was i had leaked about 2.5 quarts of fluid which made everything not work right and so fixed the leaks and now 300 dollars later no more light and no more problems so far

Back