• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help me decide Baer or FSVT Brakes

My stock brakes on my 98 SVT could be better. I want the Baer brakes, but will the FSVT brakes be enough since the stock braking power is not that good or should I spend the extra money and get the Baers.

You're taking a huge jump in price to the Baers so IMO I'd go with the Focus brakes. That being said I think you just havent found the right rotor and pad combo or you have something wrong mechanically if you arent satisfied with the stock brakes for daily use.

if you have the money, go with baer. i loooooove big brakes. i have big brakes on both the contours. not only do they look killer, they stop like a dream

Personally I went w the Baers!!!! ***TIME TO WHORE***
12-9-08BaerBBK011.jpg

Big jump in money tho! Depends if your keeping your car stock. Not tracking or running the car aggressively then find a better rotor/pad combo or move on to the FSVT Brake Setup!

If you want a sexy time? Go with the Baers and if you have a 94 Cobra then the pads will be interchangable just in case one of them goes down.:rolleyes:

- amyn

I would say just the FSVT kit is more than enough. Even when I am spraying going at XXXMPH and hit the brakes it more than enough power. Just get a good set of rotors and pads and call it a day. Spend the other money elsewhere on the car.
The FSVT brake rotors are the same size as the 12" BAER kit, just throwing that out there.

I have both. Use the FSVT for the winter. Hands down the Baers if you can swing it. The extra piston's clamping force is very nice.

Did you install your brake kit yet

Personally I went w the Baers!!!! ***TIME TO WHORE***
12-9-08BaerBBK011.jpg

Big jump in money tho! Depends if your keeping your car stock. Not tracking or running the car aggressively then find a better rotor/pad combo or move on to the FSVT Brake Setup!

If you want a sexy time? Go with the Baers and if you have a 94 Cobra then the pads will be interchangable just in case one of them goes down.:rolleyes:

- amyn

I think the first response was the best. The stock SVT brakes provide more than enough brake torque for most any street tire. If the braking performance is suffering, it's time for fresh fluid and pads. Performance fluid and pads will also offer the best performance per dollar upgrade. But the most important thing to remember is that brakes don't stop a car. Tires do. Brakes stop wheel rotation. You can have 14 inch rotors, with six piston calipers, and a full metal brake pad. None of it will matter if your riding on a tire like riken craptors. I'm not trying to be condescending. Just informative. I do understand that people like the looks of bigger brakes in their wheels. I do too. I also understand that bigger rotors with street pads is a smarter choice for a street car than smaller rotors with race pads. Especially in the cold. Having said all that, I would recommend fsvt brakes with a good pad if your looking for the bigger brakes. You will be able to feel the increased brake torque, which is a good feel. They will also completely fill a 16 inch wheel, and mostly fill a 17. Your stopping performance will still be limited by your tires. But I would still just opt for the fresh pads and fluid.

Did you install your brake kit yet
No they are going on sometime in the end of Jan or Feb.

Same as my Baers. Bendix Ti's.

Just wanted to know where you get those brake pads. I was searching online and couldn't find them.

What are our options for the Cobra brake pads. I've been searching for 1994 Cobra Front brake pads and all I see are Hawks or cheap-o pads.

and what type of Brake fluid do you use, I have 1 bottle of Super Blue!

- amyn

amyn,were did you get the baer setup? theres pretty much no online contour stores anymore that sell aftermarket parts.

Back