• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Costco Gas

SVT3391

CEG'er
Any one use it regularly?

We have a brand new Costco open within 1 mile from my home. The price is usually lower than other gas stations near by. Most of the time it's packed, but cars are lining up in an orderly manner and one direction only. I like the way that there is no fighting for the gas pump when cars coming from different directions like other stations.

So far I have filled with their gas for 2 months already. I didn't feel any ill effect. Any one like to chime in?

The only thing I don't really like is, I need to swipe two cards (membership card, then my AE card) to get gas. I have been in a couple occasions that the cars in front of me (usually older gents/ladies) looking through the wallets/purses/screen buttons to figure out how to start. Fortunately, there usually some staff there to show people how to start and most of the time they are courteous enough.

I can't imagine it would cost very much different than other stations. The profit margin on gas right now is so low I haven't seen more than a 5 cent difference between stations. Saving 5 cents on even a full fill-up, you're going to save like 65 cents.

As far as quality... it's most likely coming from the same gas truck that the Mobil station gets...

I used to work at the Costco in Glen Burnie, and did a few months at the gas station, so I know exactly which one you're talking about.

when I was there (hasn't been very long) they used the same gas as BP stations. as for swiping 2 cards, if you have a Costco AE card you can just swipe that the one time, otherwise yea, 2 cards.

also remember the hoses are really long so if all the pumps that line up with your gas cap are taken, you can take one from the opposite side. it'll reach.

I've used costco gas for over 2 years now, I don't see any difference. and as far as prices go, if you're in the area, you'll never pay more at costco, but your savings aren't really enough to go out of your way for it. but really, that holds true for virtually ANY gas station if you break down the miles traveled-savings ratio. it'd have to be like a 50 cent difference to make it worth the trip.

The Costco now is the closest one from my house, not counting the Mobil at the opposite block. That Mobil has ridiculous price. This evening, the Mobil has 3.31 for the premium, while Costco has 2.98. The saving could be huge, because I not only fill my CSVT, but also my wife's AWD Sienna (a gas hog -- almost 19 gallon per fill up).

Last night I had to fill up at a Shell even further because it was late and Costco only open till 9:30. I noticed the speed of dispensing was much slower than that at the Costco's. Maybe the Shell does not change the filter as often as Costco does (and they advertise that on top of each pump for 'quick fill Phil').

It's good to know that they are using quality stuff like BP's.

i havent used costco gas but we did have a sams club with gas station... i noticed nothing out of the ordinary about it...it was usually maybe 3 cents cheaper than regular stations ins the area...i got the same discount at vons gas when swiping the vons card

i would love to pay 2.98 for premium...hell id settle now for regular at that price....imagine the financial distaster of filling up my 26 gallon expedition....~80-85 bucks depending on how high gas is and how low my tank is...it usually gets no more than 40 bucks...

Last edited:
my mother just about primary uses costco to fill her escape since it is just down the road from work. It runs fine, gas for the most part is gas except that different companies use different adatives, etc. I recall a show talking about oil/gas importing and all companies use the same pipe lines to send gas north, you get out what you put in, its all about the adatives put in later on.

otherwise costco is always cheaper. I find stop and shop is also cheaper too, plus you get the 5 cents of regular or 10 off premium and can use the additional 10 cents a gallon off when you spend $50 or more in the store ... and since I shop at stop and shop its pretty convenient. When I see stations around at 3.17 or so for regular, I can go to stop and shop and get it for around 3.06 .... plus with the gas door on the passanger side the wait in line is alot shorter :laugh:

now I think my vehicles get better milage from mobil gas but then again when I fill with mobil now its when I am stopping on the higway taking a trip to or from my parents so the higway miles help improve gas milage so I think that is just in my mind ...

I can't imagine it would cost very much different than other stations. The profit margin on gas right now is so low I haven't seen more than a 5 cent difference between stations. Saving 5 cents on even a full fill-up, you're going to save like 65 cents.

As far as quality... it's most likely coming from the same gas truck that the Mobil station gets...
Not to start another debate on where gasoline comes from, but around here, COSTCO gas is from ARCO. I don't use it but know some who have and they aren't big fans of it. Lesser performance, especially in the detonation area is the biggest gripe. By needing to go up a grade in order to stop the pinging wipes out any advantage when it's time to pay. Sitting in a long line for >15 minutes to save a few cents is another drawback for me.
Karl

Not to start another debate on where gasoline comes from, but around here, COSTCO gas is from ARCO. I don't use it but know some who have and they aren't big fans of it. Lesser performance, especially in the detonation area is the biggest gripe. By needing to go up a grade in order to stop the pinging wipes out any advantage when it's time to pay. Sitting in a long line for >15 minutes to save a few cents is another drawback for me.
Karl

if your waiting more then 15 minutes you are going at the wrong time of day ...

if your waiting more then 15 minutes you are going at the wrong time of day ...
Could be but really, around here, no time is the right time. Maybe I only happen by when they're the busiest. Again, it's just not worth it to me. Not saying it isn't for anyone else. If you've got the time...

I don't drive all that much anyway since I've retired. :cool:
Karl

Not to start another debate on where gasoline comes from, but around here, COSTCO gas is from ARCO. Karl

Just an FYI
Not to "fuel" a debate, but ARCO = BP, although ARCO still does not sell BP\Amoco fuel.

Not too many people realize that, that's why right now you see of lot of East of Rocky BP Connect (Wild Bean) C (convienence)-Stores converting to the West of Rocky AM\PM (ARCO brand) - C-Stores with BP price signs, canopies and gas pumps, same Amoco fuel in the ground just a new C-store offering.

Oh, and I don't use Costco, only BP\Amoco at BP stations. Sam's, COSTCO and others may buy BP or Shell or Mobil fuel for one delivery, but may not for the next one. The only way to truly guaruntee you are getting a specific brand (if you are brand loyal) is to go a station that is branded with that companies image (I.E. only go to a Shell, Mobile, BP station)...

Sorry I know that got long winded

Last edited:
The other day I saw at a local Shell station, the CIF tank truck was putting gas into the underground tank...

The Costco station near my house only got either regular (87) or 93. The prices of yesterday was 2.77 and 2.99.

I did for once or twice found Costco's prices were higher than other stations (not near by though). I paid 3.07 while a Shell 15 miles away showed 2.99. But normally Costco's are cheaper.

There should be no difference between brands of fuel per say. Federal law dictates minimum requirments as it relates to deposit additives. Octane is octane and is formulted to meet the rating by refiners. The only minor difference could be in the over achieving from the federal requirements as it deals with the concentration of cleaning additives.

For your reading pleasure:
http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-AIR/1996/July/Day-05/pr-23484.txt.html

http://www.api.org/aboutoilgas/gasoline/gasoline-octane.cfm

So believe what you will, but most of the brand loyalty is from marketing.

Last edited:
Back