• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help me choose a resonator

SHOgoFast

Hard-core CEG'er
In forced induction becasue...well, its force fed. Move to duratec performance if necessary.

Alright, I have a pretty raspy section of rpm and I am going to add a resonator. This is where you guys come in...what do you suggest.

What I have. 3" SS, with CAT, single camero style muffler in the rear.

Here are my candidates from justmagnaflow.com

Rounds

5" - 14" Body
6" - 14" Body
6" - 18" Body
6" - 30" Body

Even looking at these ovals...

5"x8" - 18" Body
5"x11" - 22" Body

Nothing available in 4" for me at they do not have any with 3" cores.

I am leaning most heavily toward the 6" Round w/18" Body. Would 14" give too much drone? Would 30" just be too damn quiet? Why cant they just make a 5" Round 22" Body?!?!?

Thanks fellas...

are you dead set on a magnaflow or would you be willing to go with something else? if so take a look at Borla's stuff. they tend to give a nice deep tone with no rasp

Well, I went with the 6"x30". If you still have a lot of drone with 22" hopefully this will do the trick. If its too quiet I will delete the rear muffler.

magnaflow is bay far cheaper. i have then 22 inch thats 4 inches thick. I also have two 18 inch at the tips and my exhaust is still really loud. I dont have rasp but there is alot of drone.

Edlebrock 5503 = the cure for all drone and rasp

EDIT: you'll ned a different model # as you're using 3", Still, RPM series is the sound you want.

Edlebrock 5503 = the cure for all drone and rasp

EDIT: you'll ned a different model # as you're using 3", Still, RPM series is the sound you want.

There is no 5503. I just checked the site.:confused:

Did you mean 55730?

Last edited:
i didnt even know edelbrock made mufflers... nor have i heard one ever...

now ive got a 3L with headers and a catless test pipe, if i used 1 6x30" with muffler delete would that be insanely loud and drony or what?

right now i have a cherry bomb and the 2 stock mufflers, i get a little rasp but it sounds good. tons of drone though. im think in the future BAT y pipe to a high flow cat a 1 magnaflow.

i didnt even know edelbrock made mufflers... nor have i heard one ever...

now ive got a 3L with headers and a catless test pipe, if i used 1 6x30" with muffler delete would that be insanely loud and drony or what?

Yes it would be lol.

I'm probaly going to go with the SS magnaflow 5x8 oval. edelbrock muffler is good but for a SS they want $126 instead of magnaflows SS for $85

No headers and bat downpipe with no cat. i get some rasp but i also put back in my stock resonator. The drone was horrible and i got sick of it.

Back