• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help asap please driving rental b/c of this :(

avengerc4

CEG'er
I was driving along on the highway around 75 and all of a sudden I lost speed...then got some back...then lost...went to the side of the road and stopped after I was through the onramp...this is what happened

1036370669425_ORIG.jpg

10036370669409_ORIG.jpg

6036370669380_ORIG.jpg

7036370669387_ORIG.jpg

8036370669388_ORIG.jpg

9036370669390_ORIG.jpg

The half shaft seal broke. Where do I get a new one and how do I put it together? I hope no damage is done to the trans. Should I also get a new trans seal? It looks fine. Would I need a new axle you think?

What would cause this to happen? I know when I tried to push the 1/2 shaft back into the trans nothing but the engine moved. I could literally shift the motor. It seemed the lower trans mount that I just changed out to the poly filled was moving back and forth. Also that bolt was perfectly in the center of the hole and is now not. What should I do? I need to pay 25 bucks a day for a rental. I need this fixed.

If I can't get these new I saw a used MTX 75 in the junkyard not an SVT though would they swap?

Thanks!

wow I am surprised nobody has replied to this. Have you checked with some local shops? I wouldn't know where to start either on this. Good luck and sorry I wasn't any help.

to me it looks like the half shaft pulled out of the transmission. Check the retaining bolts on the bracket by the alternator. You should be able to just get it back in place and refill with fluid. You lost all drive because the half shaft came out of the diff. This happened to me before. I just reseated the half shaft in the diff and put new nuts on the studs to retain the half shaft. the seal was not damaged.

Also it looks like the filled roll restrictor center came loose from the housing.

Last edited:
Bolts and everything were in place. The actual bearing for the intermediate shaft came apart. I unbolted it for the pic so you could see how it ripped apart. Is there any way to fix that or do I have to find one somewhere?

Did you check the bearing on the other end of the intermediate shaft? Had mine fail a few years ago, but the shaft just lost mesh, no fluid came out...still enough to lose drive and that's all that holds the I-shaft in place if I recall correctly.

if your talking about the bearing near the alternator for the half shaft just get another one with a good bearing and swap them. get the passanger axle out of the way and its straight forward to swap.

yah took things apart and I'm going to buy a new car this weekend fix this and sell it. I can't get the intermediate shaft out of the trans. It won't come out. I took the whole pass side apart again and got the lower control arm off and tie rod and knuckle. Took off the axel from the intermediate shaft this is what came of that.

The bearing with nothing on it
5036411580484_ORIG.jpg

Bearing
2036411580465_ORIG.jpg

pushed in as far as it will go
4036411580479_ORIG.jpg

pulled out as far as it will go
3036411580474_ORIG.jpg

the intermediate shaft should pull right out of the transmission. its ratained by the bracket that supports it by the alternator.

that's the thing it won't. I took it out to change the trans seal and it just came right out, but this one won't come out at all.

well my buddy was gonna take down the trans but he said well if the •••• broke the •••• broke. He took a pickle fork and a sledge and took about 5 min of hitting the •••• out of it and got the thing out. He said internals looked fine but it wouldn't come out because the end muschroomed actually. Took a grinder and grinded the end down to see if it would fit in the spare diff he brought with. It did. So we stuck it back into the trans to test it out and it worked. So hopefully all I need is a new intermediate shaft.

Any reason why this would happen? I'm gonna fix it and sell it to a friend but I want to let him know if he needs anything else like motor mounts so this won't happen again any time soon. I know I changed the rear motor mount about a month ago or so and this just broke now. Any correlation? I'm wondering.

well english is not my forte. I double majored in accounting and finance I like numbers better lol. but I thought grinded was alright eh? guess not haha.

Back