• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Heatercore Woes

Con-Man

CEG'er
I finally got the heater core off but now I have a new problem. The Inlet and outlet pipes on the new heatercore is 3/4 the pipes on the Ford core that I’m replacing is 1/2 so of course this new core is two big for my existing hoses. Now the reason I'm trying to change this core in the first place, I found a coolant leak one time under the passenger seat carpet. I did have the coolant smell and the foggy windshield inside. I have continued to check this area for a few months and I've never found coolant there again. I thought it was real simple call around to the local parts store and get a core with smaller pipes not going to happen 3/4 seem to be the standard. I thought I found one from AC Delco that would work but the gentleman I talked to said that the tubes were 3/4 of and inch as well. I called Ford and they told me $300 plus I told they guy I could buy a replacement core for $60.00 He told me that he was providing the complete replacement kit (whatever) Actually with the core off I don't really see a problem with visible holes. Just trying to see if anyone else has experience this. I’m thinking about just putting the old core back on and dealing with it. Splicing and replacing hoses has come to mind but if I can help it I rather not do either one of those options. Suggestions anyone

If you already have the core out, you can easily determine if it is leaking. Just plug a garden hose on the tube and see if water is coming out somewhere. If it is not leaking, then it is probably a connection somewhere. Just tighten. And yes, if it ends up being a hose connector to get it done, so be it.

Some info on part numbers (outside the cabin compartment) from the old site.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...d=1month&Main=1305696&Search=true#Post1311501

Last edited:
Back