• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Heater only has one speed

Westwildcat

CEG'er
The heater in my 99 Contour only blows when its on max speed. The other speeds its acts as its in the off position. Is there something common here that can go wrong that I should look at? Or what are the list of things that it could be?

Thanks

The fan speed resistor(s) failed...I believe it's located under the footwell near the glovebox, buts it's been awhile since I replaced mine. It looks like a circuit board with several white rectangular resistors connected to it. It's a common and fairly simple fix...part should be easy to obtain through dealership or autoparts store.

Sounds like the resistor to me. In my experience, the switch fails more-so on high speed, and the lower speeds will work.

Had my blower motor resister replaced just a few months ago under recall…call the dealer give them your vin# and they can tell you if its already been fixed. Iirc the resister was about $25 or $35 and then the pigtail that plugs into it was another $25 or soo…all replaced under the recall…:cool:

Had my blower motor resister replaced just a few months ago under recall…call the dealer give them your vin# and they can tell you if its already been fixed. Iirc the resister was about $25 or $35 and then the pigtail that plugs into it was another $25 or soo…all replaced under the recall…:cool:

You this is a recall on these cars and ford will pay for fixing it? I just go to ford and tell them the problem and they fix free of charge or what? Not familiar with any type of recall work.

The heater in my 99 Contour only blows when its on max speed. The other speeds its acts as its in the off position. Is there something common here that can go wrong that I should look at? Or what are the list of things that it could be?

Thanks

Just got up this morning to the same problem.

Yah… Basically you just call up the dealer’s service department, tell them that you want to check if your vehicle has been in for the blower motor resister recall. Here’s a link to the recall, it will be the second one down…http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/recalls/ford-contour/

Depending on the dealer / stealer ship your calling you might have to talk to a couple of people before you find someone that knows what their doing. Just as an example I had to take mine in twice because the first time it was in they didn’t have the correct parts in stock even though I’d sit there wait for three hours… I was pissed..! Oh well…it was free but it cost me about 5 hours and tow early Saturday mornings….

Well,without looking into to much, I’d say no. Because the recall only covers 96-2000.

I’dassume if they used the same part in the 95 then it’d be covered too, but youknow what they say about assuming…:crazy::shrug:

The fan speed resistor(s) failed...I believe it's located under the footwell near the glovebox, buts it's been awhile since I replaced mine. It looks like a circuit board with several white rectangular resistors connected to it. It's a common and fairly simple fix...part should be easy to obtain through dealership or autoparts store.

I am looking for this resistor board... does anyone know exactly where I can find it? I looked under the dash where the glove box is but dont see any circuit board with white rectangular resistors?

It will be close to the center console, in the plastic tubing for the AC ducting under the dash. It will probably be held in with 1 screw.

approx 1.5" x 3"

Back