• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Heater issues..

deyes

CEG'er
So just picked up a project car, the heater works on every setting but high and only blows from the defrost setting oddly. I replaced the resistor and that didn't solve the high setting not working, I have three resistors I picked up along the way and none of them solved the issue. I have a contour hvac panel (the car is a 98 Mystique) that I'm going to plug in and test, doesn't fit but the connections should be the same if I'm not mistaken. Any one encounter this problem before?

The different settings of floor, panel, defrost are controlled by vacuum. When the vacuum is insufficient to move them it defaults to defrost. I had an SVT where the thin plastic tubing which runs from the back of the UIM through the firewall broke...thus no vacuum. It gets very brittle from age and engine compartment heat. You can try and look there. The tube I'm talking about feeds into the cluster of 4 (or 5?) on the back of the UIM that also feeds the EGR and FPR.

That begs the question, the car then would need to be running in order for that to function properly? I never noticed that. If that's the case. Perhaps I shouldn't be testing the heater controls when I have the intake plenum off for the IAC repair lol! I'll fix the IAC and VSS and revisit this problem in that case. Thanks.

Looks like it does need to be running. Silly mistake, thanks for the input.

Looks like a mouse or something chewed on some wires. I replaced the AIC and the VSS only to find I could have repaired the harnesses, been chewed up by a mouse.

Looks like a mouse or something chewed on some wires. I replaced the AIC and the VSS only to find I could have repaired the harnesses, been chewed up by a mouse.

or it has a bad wiring harness like most 98 and older cars do where all of the insulation is brittle and now falling off.

Back