• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Headlight Alignment

Scorpion8

Hard-core CEG'er
I searched and searched, and haven't found any info on lowbeam headlight alignment. My Contour/Mystique service manual (Haynes) in Section 12(8) says it "can be done without the optical tool" but doesn't tell you how. My left/driver's side lowbeam doesn't help much, but before I adjust it up/down I'd like to know "where it should be" on those bubble devices.

Does anyone have the common proper alignment spots for a post-98 Controur w/o any suspension mods? Anyone have any good "here's where mine are" pics of the headlight pattern against a garage door or blank wall or somesuch? Any help (except of the "if it's down then go up" sort) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

you need to be on level ground. first you need to adjust the whole headlight assembly to set where the high beams are going to shine. if you have drl's and a garage door this is help full.

basically just start by setting the float/level to zero. thats suppose to aim the lights but most of the time it isn't right. just adjust the lights until you can see well. then test. if people start flashing you then they are to high. typically the drivers light is down alittle and would be centered in your lane. the passanger light is up alittle and at the shoulder. but you can set the lights even. I dunno, make the bright spot hit the ground about 25 feet in front of the car.

try searching around for a shade tree mechanic/two guys garage clip/instructions on how to align headlights on a wall.

Phillips head screwdriver, go out to a really big parking lot at night that'll be mostly empty. A local high school is perfect. Adjust as needed. There are up/down screws right up front where you can see them and then the left/right screws are down behind where the blinker is and a pain to find the first time. Easy to get to though. Adjust and then drive around for a few minutes to see if you like it. If not then go back and adjust again. If people flash you all the time you have them too high. Try to get them 25-30 feet out and somewhat centered. For centering I used parking space lines as a guide. Also good to use to get a mark for your 25-30 ft out from the car.

Phillips head screwdriver, ....

Mine takes a Torx, but who :shrug:.... got them set to where I like them and nobody's been flashing me (dang! Uh well, you know what I mean). I was hoping there was a factory setting such as 2-down-bubble on those leveling indicators, but as long as they're functional, bright and working right then I'm good to go.

Back