• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

header back- toning it down...

D

devanmc

So im getting my list together for doing a header back on my zetec. After reading around some other forums(new cougar) the header and down pipe(which removes the cat) that is available, is extremely loud.

I was thinking about putting in 2-3 magnaflow resonators (no baffles, ect) to tone it down to a good level, while upgrading to a 2.5 inch exhaust. Would this be sufficient or would you guy recommend an alternate route. Im try to minimize drone, rasp and just generally not sound like a ricer.

i would go with a Borla resonator in the middle and then a Borla muffler out back. IMHO Borla sounds better than Magnaflow.

Its just restrictive enough to help with the sound but not so much as to noticeably hurt performance.

157-40842S.jpg

Borla ''S-Type'' Mufflers

15740022.jpg

Borla Turbo Series Stainless Steel Mufflers

157-40043.jpg

Borla XR-1 Race Mufflers

is their a specific type you would recommend? these are from jegs

i would recommend the "S-type". i wouldnt pay what jegs wants for them but just search around and keep an eye on ebay and you should be able to find some for a decent price.

i would think so. go to www.borla.com (i think thats their site) look at their universal mufflers. they have some with an integrated tip that should work well also

i suspect they would be too loud as they are designed to be a racing muffler so they will have almost no restriction or noise cancellation.

ill keep an eye out for some s-type borla's then. thanks for the help striker2

also, would i be at a legal noise level with just one borla muffler on a 2.5inch mandral bend, header back exhaust or would i really need 2? Borla mufflers are SO expensive.

idk what the regulations are up in MI so i couldnt tell you. i know im "legal" here in Kentucky with no mufflers on my 2.5" turbo back exhaust.

i guess ill look around. I know the cat cuts most of the noise in the exhuast system. So it will be interesting with that gone. i guess ill find out if i need a second once i get this done.

Start with just one muffler out back and if its still too loud and/or has some rasp then get a resonator for the middle.

actually i have a 2.5" resonator ill sell you cheap. its not a Borla but it is the same style and design as their resonators. PM if your interested.

devan it will be too loud. Get a high flow cat with a magnaflow resonator and borla muffler.

that is all you will need. That should cost about 160 total for all 3. If you need help i can send you links to all the parts or call my arse. I've been really busy and have been meaning to call you about those speakers.

well, im trying to get rid of the cat, so i may just have to put in like 3 resonators or something.:blackeye:

If you want those speakers then call me. :laugh:
or
ill attempt to call sometime tomorrow. :shrug:

Right on: Header-highflow cat-resonator-muffler should make the sound livable.

options without a cat, like 2 or 3 resonators? i also dont want mufflers as they are restrictive. Im going for a straight through exhaust, so resonaters should help the sound while not having baffles and such to mess with air flow.

i talked to striker2 and i have no use for a cat or the added price of one. I live in Mich so i do not have emissions testing.

Last edited:
options without a cat, like 2 or 3 resonators? i also dont want mufflers as they are restrictive. Im going for a straight through exhaust, so resonaters should help the sound while not having baffles and such to mess with air flow.

i talked to striker2 and i have no use for a cat or the added price of one. I live in Mich so i do not have emissions testing.

devan trust me and this crazy Mexican Hector. You will not lose any power with adding a muffler or even a high flow cat. Actually if you open the exhaust this much, you will lose low end. Seeing you have an auto your car will be too under powered and be a dog on the road. I could understand if you supercharged it like hector did. Seriously even then that is too much exhaust flow....

Next time we talk on the phone we can talk about this. Call me anyways I got the money.

Back