• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Harness swap, all the info I can get.

E0GLSport

CEG'er
My 98 gl sport 2.5 mtx still runs fine, but the harness is getting pretty nasty, and I don't think it will survive too many more movements whilst repairing other things before something stops working. I've been searching and trying to gather as much info as possible, but I have some questions.
1. I've heard there is actually 3 harnesses, which makes sense from what I've seen, are there any of the 3 that just swap over to E1 from E0 without pinout changes?
2. Are the E1 harnesses REALLY better? Because I know I've seen 99+ V6 contours at the junkyard with cracked wiring, not as bad, but still there.
3. Are some of the sensor connectors different, if so, which sensors do I need to replace.
4. I think I've heard there is a PATS difference between E0 and E1, does wiring just need to be added?
What else do I need to know? I'm not shy when it comes to electronics / wiring, but those with experience actually doing this would be greatly appreciated for any help they can provide.

My contour has 148K on it, but the engine and trans, paint and body, and interior are fantastic. Has a new clutch, alternator, water pump, various sensors, gaskets everywhere under the hood, E0 svt front rotors / calipers, grill, and exhaust. I really want to keep it. I also have an '03 focus, so I can go without the 'tour for a few days / weeks if necessary while I take my time with this.

E1 harness has major differences, between different clips to pin position. I have an e1 harness and was gonna have svttour convert it. But I got luck and found a late 98 in the jy in great shape. And there is only 2 harnesess, fuel injector and pcm. The pcm one is a pain it runs accross the back of the block. Any other q's give me a hollar.

technically there are 4 different harnesses in the engine bay. Check out the istructions for the harness kits and thats what is called out. I know on my 95 the fan harness was pretty cracked up also.

main engine harness
fuel injector harness
fan harness
body harness

The battery cable is also prone to break down. My fan wires were surprisingly in good shape. The cps had no insulation just two bare wires wrapped together. And the grey plug in the cluster of three had no insulation on at least seven wires there.

E1 harness has major differences, between different clips to pin position. I have an e1 harness and was gonna have svttour convert it. But I got luck and found a late 98 in the jy in great shape. And there is only 2 harnesess, fuel injector and pcm. The pcm one is a pain it runs accross the back of the block. Any other q's give me a hollar.
Hmm, Kinda sounds like finding another 98 and replacing each wire, soldering and shrink wrapping 1 by 1 may be my best option... the only thing that sucks is that there will be a a million of one color wire under the hood, and diagnosis of any further problems would be pretty much impossible.

If your lucky. I unwrapped mine when i had it off the insultion just kept falling off. And finding a good 98 i just got lucky i searched at least 30 jy.

Ya, what I meant was just find another one that's shot and replace each wire. Maybe make a jig or something and pull remove and replace one wire at a time, re-loom, re-tape, then put it back on the car. I doubt I'll find a good 98 harness now, and even then, it's not gonna last in the extreme climate differences we have here.
If your lucky. I unwrapped mine when i had it off the insultion just kept falling off. And finding a good 98 i just got lucky i searched at least 30 jy.

I did just that, replace every wire that was cracked. I bought a 00 cougar harness for $50 I thought I'll try that. the colors were the same. I simply cut and soldered and applied heat shrink to all my connections.

Back