• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

got hit by a flying rock!

Goonz SVT

Hard-core CEG'er
I was on 93 in medford in the fast lane when I noticed a pathfinder in the middle lane (2 car lengths ahead) went over a pothole and suddenly shot up this piece of rock the size of a base ball in the air atleast 20 feet and then I suddenly noticed HOLY CRAP thats coming right at my windshield.

I had no place to avoid it, I had a narrow shoulder to my left and a car to my right, only had a little bit to move over to and then I hear the awful sound, SMASH! I didnt know what happened or where it hit, my windshield was fine but I look over to the side and the passenger side view mirror is folded and so I flip on the hazards and start pulling over. The end result was not pretty. The fender has a gash and needs to be replaced. The side view mirror has its cover missing along with some internal pieces all cracked, its holder being all banged up. I filed a claim, I have to pay the deductible and the damages are estimated at approx. $2k mainly because the paint is a 3-stage pearl and needs to be blended around in order to match..now the damage

1-59.jpg

2-48.jpg

4-34.jpg

Wow, I'm sorry that happened to you man. In hindsight it probably would have been better to take the hit on the windshield. At least your policy will cake tare of it.

man that sucks!
I wonder if you can file a claim with the Commonwealth too because of the road conditions.

btw, you copied and pasted that directly from a post on g37 didn't you? heh

Oh damn, that would have been cheaper to let it hit the windshield. You were so close to dodging it.

man that sucks!
I wonder if you can file a claim with the Commonwealth too because of the road conditions.

lol yea I did, how can you tell?

Im pretty sure had I taken the hit on the windshield, it would have been worse, the rock was coming down hard and with momentum and the same applied on my end with my car. Judging by the size of the rock, it def. would have cause significant damage or perhaps maybe even penetrating through the glass..

lol penetrating

Ouch. Definitely agree getting hit in the windshield would have been better from a financial standpoint due to mega cheap MA glass insurance ($7 a year for me :p). Agree with Kim. See if you can get somewhere with the state due to the poor nature of the roads. Where on 93 were you? I can do a bit of research and see if that is set to be worked on soon.

Ouch. Definitely agree getting hit in the windshield would have been better from a financial standpoint due to mega cheap MA glass insurance ($7 a year for me :p). Agree with Kim. See if you can get somewhere with the state due to the poor nature of the roads. Where on 93 were you? I can do a bit of research and see if that is set to be worked on soon.

it was around the mystic valley parkway exit on 93 north, i think its right before the fresh coat of asphalt..figures right..

wow, that's rough! :( Though, it's better to hit the fender like that rather than risk the potential of it flying through the windshield.
If you need a bodyshop there are two in Manch that are good.

man that sucks!

Can't file a claim against the Commonwealth. The roads are all now "at own risk," and you agree to not hold the state accountable.

Goonz, I was just thinking to myself last night that section of highway is going to cause all manner of problems. They repaved the highway, then tore up all of the bridges, leaving them in disrepair for who knows what reason. Maybe someone can expand on that. Sucks your car was the victim of it... glad it's only sheet metal and plastic, though. The flesh/bone stuff is harder to replace.

you should of seen the size of that rock, it was insane! Worst part about it was that I saw it all happen in about 5 seconds which made it worse. Ah well, your right about the commonwealth, drive at your own risk. No biggy though, it is what it is and Matty, i already have a shop lined up, its going in for repair march 15th..

Back