• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Got a little too carried away with the rocker replacement.

casper

CEG'er
Over the past two weekends I have been replacing the rockers and I got a bit carried away. So from the rockers I removed all signs of rust on the bottom of the car and used a rubberized undercoating. Wheel wells and all. While the rocker replacement is time consuming even with the right tools its not that bad. Anyways here are a couple pics of the process and a link the a Imgur album.

gqjXBsnh.jpg

jTErEK8h.jpg

I feel a lot better now about driving it through another winter :D

Nice work. I wish I had that kind of room in my garage. My projects would be finished in a more timely manner.

Casper
Outstanding work it looks good as new
I used a wire wheel/ fibreglass/ then POR15 rust paint before installing the SVT side skirts on my 99 merc mystique
Also spent a lot of time working on the area where front fender bolts to the rocker panel
My Canadian fenders rusted right thru in this area because the space acted like a dump site for salt and road mud
Chris from CTA Motorsports clued me into taking out the bottom fender bolt and washing out the area
I foolishly bought Duraflex body kit side skirts before realizing that SVT factory units could be found at the wreckers
Canada Doug
ps the Canadian Tire wire wheel on a powerful grinder had me looking like a porcupine as small pieces flew off the cheap wheel
blasted thru my jeans and stuck in my leg...In the middle of the night i rolled over and one piece i missed stuck me like a sharp needle

Yeah, I stripped all body panels off. The front fenders are a area that collects tons of crap. Everything should be good to go though. Just need to do the paint yet which I hope to have done this next weekend.

Looks great. I am about to do the same with my car - glad I searched.

What replacement panels did you end up using and did they fit OK? How far into the door jam did they go? I assume you have to fabricate the front and rear sections to to into the wheel well area?

Looks great. I am about to do the same with my car - glad I searched.

What replacement panels did you end up using and did they fit OK? How far into the door jam did they go? I assume you have to fabricate the front and rear sections to to into the wheel well area?

So the rockers I got of rock auto. I picked up the cheap ones, the $24 ones lol. They are close but not exact. Took a lot of persuasion by my trusty hammer to get it in shape. After a little bondo and lots of spot welding they look pretty decent. I am by no means good at body work lol so they came out alright. I am in the process of painting right now tonight. Have 2 more coats of clear to put on and then shes good to go. This is my daily/winter driver so I didn't go for show quality. ;)

As for how far into the jam? I cut it the old one off right where it rounds off to go under the door. Then it I set it to overlap a little bit. You can see where I cut in the first pic. For the front section mine were alright, so I cut the old one off right where the front fender comes back. As for the rear, I had to make up a whole new corner. Luckily I have some decent metal working tools that made it relatively easy. If you want I can make some for you if you want. They won't be perfect but should do the job ;)

If you have more questions just let me know. Would be happy to help you out.

If you want I can make some for you if you want. They won't be perfect but should do the job ;)

If you have more questions just let me know. Would be happy to help you out.

THIS ... is why I love this site - no pretense, no expectation, just friends helping new friends get the best out of their car!

Wow.. thanks for the offer! I'm not going to make you do that.. you have enough on the go already with your project. I actually have a stretcher/shrinker combo so I was just planning on making up something for the ends. Sounds like for the price you can't go wrong. I was going to make up my own, but for $24, it is not worth my time. The place is close to me so I will likely just pick them up in person.

I plan to tackle this over the holidays.. I'll post some pics too during the process.

Here is a quick update. Got everything put back together minus the side skirts. Decided to leave those off for winter. Finally happy that I am done with this project lol.

8cUrNTdh.jpg

ks0jPrsh.jpg

Z687U7Ph.jpg

MbBVVqqh.jpg

Not bad for DIY.

I spy a t-red svt front bumper and sil-fro svt rear bumper.

Back