• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Good brake job tutorial?

Vigilante

New CEG'er
I'm having a hard time finding a "good" brake job how to/tutorial. All of the ones that I have found are pretty bad so far. Does anyone know of a good one?

what are you looking for? a "how-to"? or general info?

for general info about friction types and explanations i would watch these videos from Bendix. they explain a lot of stuff. but its not a "how-to". yea they are talking about their products but you will come away with a better understanding and use that with other company's products.

http://www.bendixbrakes.com/techCorner/

Yeah I'm looking for a how to type of write up. To do a proper brake job doesn't one have to lubricate/oil/grease certain parts? I never see anything about this stuff in the online write ups that I have seen so far. I guess that I just want to know how to change the pads and rotors, but do everything right and not leave anything out.

SVTJON87, thanks for the Bendix link. It sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

BTW, I'd have to say that this is the best that I could find so far:
http://www.installuniversity.com/in..._pages/donations/rotors_brakepads_mwarren.htm

yea don't use loctite on the brakes.

you are going to want to use brake lube for the slide pins, where the back of the pad touches the caliper. basically where metal contacts metal. this helps dampen noise. just no grease on the pad surface or rotor. its also a good idea to use anti-seize lube on the back of the rotor hat, where it contacts the hub. this helps prevent rust from freezing the rotor to the hub. making for easy removal.

yea don't use loctite on the brakes.

you are going to want to use brake lube for the slide pins, where the back of the pad touches the caliper. basically where metal contacts metal. this helps dampen noise. just no grease on the pad surface or rotor. its also a good idea to use anti-seize lube on the back of the rotor hat, where it contacts the hub. this helps prevent rust from freezing the rotor to the hub. making for easy removal.

Thanks a lot. I'll keep all of this in mind.

Back