• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

getting to atx pan gasket

compudude86

CEG'er
hello,
I have a leak coming from what I think is my ATX pan gasket (it is the pan on the front bottom of the ATX). the guy I bought it from suggests using some "cold weld" on it, but I know better and think that would be like using bubble gum to repair the titanic. anybody know an easy way to get to the pan? maybe removing the bumper and radiator to get to it? and if so how would I accomplish such a task.

getting to atx pan gasket

Hello,
Is there an easy way to get to the pan on the front bottom of the ATX? The gasket is leaking, and I'm not real sure if that is the main pan gasket or something else. Also, does this require disassembly from the dront, I.e. bumper and radiator, etc, and if so, how? Thanks

It's not particularly easy, but it can be done. You'll have to move a bunch of stuff and it's still a tight fit to get the front cover off and back on again without screwing up the new gasket or the bead of fresh silicone.

I've done this a bunch of times so here goes:

1) Drain the coolant & the ATX fluid.
2) Pull the battery and the air cleaner (4 more elbo room)
3) Remove the battery tray (6 bolts)
4) Split the t-stat housing & pull the front half up & to the left out of the way.
5) Remove the MLPS.
6) Remove the 12 bolts the hold the cover on & get it loose. Make sure you drain pan is under there!
7) Reach under the car & pull the bottom of the pan towards the front of the car and then push it up. If it feels like it's not clearing the valve body the pan may be hanging up on a hydraulic line that's running past the outside (wheel side) of the trans.

I think that about uncovers it.

Back