• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel pump/harness issues

96MystiqueGS

Veteran CEG'er
1997 Contour, v6 auto transmission 64,000 miles

The problems started after replacing the alternator, intermittently the new alternator wouldn't charge. I figured it out to be a bad engine harness so I got a replacement from svttour for a couple hundred dollars. After replacing the engine and injector harness I had no PCM communication, replaced a fuse and the PCM and I have communication again but the fuel pump does not prime.

I researched and tested the relay, it's fine. I tested for switched ground from the pcm and found that it stays grounded as long as the key is on (instead of only 2 seconds) and is not grounded when I turn the key off (normal operation). I have power coming from the fuse and if I jump the relay connection with a fused connector the fuel pump runs (and i get 12v at the fuel pump connector on the purple wire). With the relay in place I only get 8.7v at the purple wire and the fuel pump doesn't run.

The codes I'm pulling, via a key on engine off test are:

P0743 - torque converter solenoid circuit electrical

P1116 ECT sensor out of test range (this is probably because the car has the coolant drained according to a thread I read)

P1479 high fan control primary circuit (haven't looked into this yet since it shouldn't prevent the car from running but i never had an issue before the harness replacement)

P1390 octane adjust service pin in use/circuit open (i can't find ANYTHING on this one, I don't remember seeing a connector with a shorting bar when I replaced the harness)

Any help is appreciated! This has been a very long project since I've had to put it on the back burner for quite a few months while dealing with family and house issues.

if you could send me the old harness I might be able to check it out and see if there were any differences from that one and the one that I sent you. which may be the reason some of these codes are coming up. Ive never seen some of them but I have seen differences in harnesses.

Back