• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Frozen Doors

Isnt that standard? Or only on sedans?

Sadly, some of the "awesome" non-SVT models don't have folding seats.

My '96 Mystique's front driver side door would either stick shut, requiring me to get all 6'5" of me across the console, or it would open, and then refuse to latch again, requiring me to hold the door shut as I drove through -15° weather. Fun.

...or it would open, and then refuse to latch again, requiring me to hold the door shut as I drove through -15° weather. Fun.

Uhh I hate that. I'm actually going to be tackling this sometime soon. My driver's door is going to be coming completely apart to clean that out and to remove some big piece of metal that keeps making a gigantic clanking noise that happens when I move the door and/or turn my music up (subs) :cool:

Sadly, some of the "awesome" non-SVT models don't have folding seats.

My '96 Mystique's front driver side door would either stick shut, requiring me to get all 6'5" of me across the console, or it would open, and then refuse to latch again, requiring me to hold the door shut as I drove through -15° weather. Fun.

Wow.

I've never really had a problem with doors freezing up until we bought our Mystique. I think there's something about these cars that creates this problem in cold weather...too many gaps in the doors or something.:shrug:

I applied more Vaseline but the doors still managed to freeze and stick a little despite the dry weather. So today I went and bought a can of Liquid Wrench and went around the seals again, especially the bottom of the door panels. That seems to be the most troublesome spot.

Wow.

I've never really had a problem with doors freezing up until we bought our Mystique. I think there's something about these cars that creates this problem in cold weather...too many gaps in the doors or something.:shrug:

I applied more Vaseline but the doors still managed to freeze and stick a little despite the dry weather. So today I went and bought a can of Liquid Wrench and went around the seals again, especially the bottom of the door panels. That seems to be the most troublesome spot.

Maybe because the extra seals, or some other technique used to make the car quiter inside :confused:

Back