• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

front seatbelt removal

There is a TORX headed bolt that holds the belt to the seat. Passenger side you should be able to just use a TORX bit and a socket wrench. The drivers side doesn't have that much clearance so I use a big allen wrench that fits the TORX head.

Do this while the seats are still bolted to the car.

The plastic cover can be removed by removing a small screw. Once you get the cover off, you need a Torx-47 to get the safety belt released.

Mad Dog

how do you get to the torx head? there is the plastic cover over it

there is no cover over the bolt. You get to it from under the seat, ie from the middle looking towards the drivers side door. You can get a torx bit and ratchet in there, just raise the seat up and move it forward, iirc.

I just pulled both front seats out of my car, and it wasnt too bad. Getting the motorized seat out was an exercise in timing - you have to move the seat far back to get the front bolts, but you have to move it back front to get to the rear bolts and the power cables. Dont forget to pull the fuse before you disconnect the power cables.

Dont forget to keep junk out of the bolt wells. You might as well clean and condition the seats while out.

Getting the bolts back in has been tricker......

Mad Dog

I just pulled both front seats out of my car, and it wasnt too bad. Getting the motorized seat out was an exercise in timing - you have to move the seat far back to get the front bolts, but you have to move it back front to get to the rear bolts and the power cables. Dont forget to pull the fuse before you disconnect the power cables.

Dont forget to keep junk out of the bolt wells. You might as well clean and condition the seats while out.

Getting the bolts back in has been tricker......

Mad Dog

that is correct, the seat has to be moved forward and back so that all the bolts are accessible. However all you have to do is tilt the seat backwards to get under it to unplug the harness. I have never had to remove the fuse to do this either.

Also note that some of the bolts are exposed under the car. If one is not careful they will snap.

As for getting the bolts back in, get all of them started before tightening anything down.

Has anyone come up with a good way to remove the power seat from a dead car ? A small(er) 12v battery and scavenged adapter ?

Mad Dog

Same thing that I did. I ran some junk interior wiring I had laying around from the seat plug to a car battery.

I'm not sure how the seat would do with something other than an automotive battery. Those seat motors draw a good amount of power.

I just changed the driver seat belt upper trim piece with the adjustable height. I used a 6mm Allen/Hex wrench because, like blu_fuz says, a Torx ratchet won't fit within the gap.

Back