• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

front pads

generalkgb

New CEG'er
hi every one
i have a 4-99 svt the part stores only show 5-99 and up pad replacements
this is what they gave me raybestos part # pgd762m got down and dirty only to find they are the wrong pads. any help?
thanks.

Just buy pads from 95-97 or 00 to avoid the mix up.

98 SVTs use a different pad, then switched back for 98.5, then switched again for early 99, then switched again for late 99. :crazy:

There is a common numbering system for brake pads used by most brake companies most of the time.

The ones you got, 762, are for the E0. Ford screwed up with their catalog, and everyone copies them. The change over was much earlier than 5/99. According to a survey taken here at CEG several years ago, the change could have been as early as 2/98.

It is helpful to go to www.batinc.net and look at their pictures and identify which one you have. Take the picture to the parts store and make sure that what you buy matches the picture of what you have on the car.

The common part number (not always used) for the non SVT and late SVT is 648.

Just buy pads from 95-97 or 00 to avoid the mix up.

98 SVTs use a different pad, then switched back for 98.5, then switched again for early 99, then switched again for late 99. :crazy:

I want to make sure I understand this right, my '00 SVT will have the same brake pads and a '00 non SVT correct?

Went to back the car into the garage today after washing and it was hard to move, started with the rear drivers, could barely turn the wheel, pulled it off, turned the rotor, can see that pad moving behind it:help:.. Looks like they have pretty much completely disintegrated:blackeye:. Will be heading to AZ today anyway so want to make sure I get the right parts

It may not be clear, but this thread is about front pads. For the record, rear disc pads for Contiques is the same for all years and models as long as it has rear disc brakes.

There is a common numbering system for brake pads used by most brake companies most of the time.

The ones you got, 762, are for the E0. Ford screwed up with their catalog, and everyone copies them. The change over was much earlier than 5/99. According to a survey taken here at CEG several years ago, the change could have been as early as 2/98.

It is helpful to go to www.batinc.net and look at their pictures and identify which one you have. Take the picture to the parts store and make sure that what you buy matches the picture of what you have on the car.

The common part number (not always used) for the non SVT and late SVT is 648.

This info should be added to the sticky. Dead on on the part #'s.

I want to make sure I understand this right, my '00 SVT will have the same brake pads and a '00 non SVT correct?

Yes, the pads are the same. You have a different caliper bracket than standard Contours/Mystiques have to allow the larger SVT rotors, but the pad size remains the same.

Back