• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front License Plate

Fordwerke

CEG'er
Hi there folks,

since I've got a two week break, I wanna take care of my Contique a bit. Since the car was originally registerred in NY, it has a front license plate holder, which is now kinda naked. Dunno what to do with it.
I wanted to get rid of it, but would have then three not so good looking wholes in the bumper; but still better than that monstrous empty holder, right? I was thinking about to put on my old Ohio license plate, dunno, is that allowed?

Btw, how can I untighten that think? I took a close look at it, but it all look strange to me.
And any ideas how/if to take care of the wholes afterwards?

Many thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Depending on how things bother you. 3 small holes may be less irritating than that of a front liscnese plate holder.

I have a northern car and I took off the license plate holder. The three holes still bother me but its better than that holder. mart_svt has a ford plate in the holder. Looks pretty good.

Its fairly simple. I lightly pulled back on the entire bracket and with some sharp sissors I cut the little rivets holding it in. Then to get the remaining halfs of the rivets out I either wiggled them out or drilled them out (obviously the holes are already drilled so no damage will be done if careful). I then went to the local car parts store and bought a couple various packs of rivets and some black and clearcoat spray cans. The end result was pretty good. Beats repainting a bumper. Hope this helps.

IMAGE_043.jpg

IMAGE_042.jpg

IMAGE_045.jpg

p.s. the little white marks were done by the dealer so beware, its hard to tell the condition of paint underneath it.

Merry Christmas

I would much prefer having a clean front bumper over the bracket. However, the previous owner of my car lived in Downtown Chicago and couldn't parallel park worth a darn. When I took mine off there are three small impressions around each hole. I felt the bracket looked better "on" than the imperfections in the bumper. One of these days I will have it fixed!

dcp9942yo7.jpg

My MK4 Golf had a front plate bracket. I took it off and left it in the parking lot of the dealership when I bought it. I had a body shop fill in the holes when I got the NASCAR damaged fixed where my X wrecked it.

Take it off, throw it away. Get some plugs/caps/covers like shown above or have the bumper repainted.
ry%3D400

Thanks a lot folks for the recommendations. I abandoned the idea of removing the plate holder, the way it is attached to the bumper is just to funny, and I don't wanna mess things up; even my otherwise technically well versed neigbour thought it to tricky.

The three rivets (??) are not directly accessable under the plate, but are surrounded by a thick rubbery sheathing.

I guess I've to look for a nice plate to put on, any suggestions? :)

I'm trying to remember how I was able to get the plate holder to come off. I know it's not as hard as it looks. There was no way I would have taken chances either as the car only has 4K miles.

Back