• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front brake pad issues

Andres Garcia

New CEG'er
Hi I got up today to change my brakes and the pads I got for the front would not fit. I took my brackets to two auto parts stores and all the pads they had there had the same issues. The pads were smaller then the ones I took off my car. This is the first brake change since I bought my csvt. All pads at stores have part # ending in 648, 801 and 762 but non of them fit. Has anyone had this issues at all any help would be great thanx

do u have a 98' i had that same issue when i got pads & rotors for mine. rotors & pads were smaller. what store did you go to. i know Autozone has problems with the wrong part number for them. there are 2 different sizes of pads & rotors. here is a link to BATs they have a picture were you can see the difference in the 2. you just got the wrong 1s. take your old 1s with u up there so u can make sure u get the rite 1s. u might have to look up a differnt year & model contour to find them.. it could be just a input error on the parts store. if you read thru the links you can read about the difference. sorry dont have part numbers for u

http://208.109.215.220/files/contour.PDF

http://www.batinc.net/contour.htm

Yes I do have a 98 E0 I took with me to the auto parts store my bracket and old pads to show the the difference but they didn't know what was wrong they said I might have to go to the dealer but not doing that.

where did u go to get your brakes. im guessing autozone. but just to fair warn you there rotors suck. when i finally got the 1s i needed they started warping within a few weeks. @ least they replaced them for me, but just more work that isnt needed. i would just return them & go somewhere else to get them

I went to pepboys and o'reilly just for brakes I got rotors from r1 concept online. I have issues with the brakes being shorter then what I have by length and with

usually most places have both sizes. just labelled wrong. u can order them from BATs website. there pads are supposed to be good. or try a carquest or somewhere else.

I had the same issue. I took the pads into Napa and he found my car used 98 se front pads. I don't know how that ended up, but they fit and worked fine.

I just picked up some pads that o'reilly ordered for me to see if they would fit and they did. They are brake best select part#762. They also have sm648 and 801 but those don't fit the E0 only E1. I was looking for ceramic pads but only semi-metallic work. If i decide later to change to the newer style would I have to change calipers and bracket or just the bracket? Is it a good idea to change them that way getting pads is easier.

The E1 (98.5 to 2000) SVT all went back to the smaller standard contour caliper. If you use this caliper you also need the bracket to be able to use the larger svt rotor. Why go smaller? Just plan on having a better source of pads. svttour might sell them through here. But, Batinc. sells complete kits or pads only. Also check out TZT performance.

http://www.tztperformance.com/cdwbrakes.html

Back