• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fog Light install

Gatman

New CEG'er
installing foglights on a 97 contour GL that was not originally equipped with them. Got the factory fogs from BAT. The connectors for the lights were stowed up in the valance so I thought I was good to go. Fabricated brackets and installed the fogs. installed a factory headlight switch with foglamp option. Fogs didn't work. Checked fuse in engine bay fuse box there is a good 15A fuse installed. Checking for relay and I cant find it or a harness for it. pulled the headlight switch panel and the panel below it and there is no foglight relay in there. I have Chiltons and Haynes manuals and neither one shows the foglight relay on any schematic. Haynes says its located at interface module bracket. Any where else this harness could be stowed or am I just missing a harness? Any suggestions? Thinking about running power through the factory switch straight to the fogs, but the schematics I have are obviously incorrect. I need to figure out the easiest way to get power to the harness I do have.

installing foglights on a 97 contour GL that was not originally equipped with them. Got the factory fogs from BAT. The connectors for the lights were stowed up in the valance so I thought I was good to go. Fabricated brackets and installed the fogs. installed a factory headlight switch with foglamp option. Fogs didn't work. Checked fuse in engine bay fuse box there is a good 15A fuse installed. Checking for relay and I cant find it or a harness for it. pulled the headlight switch panel and the panel below it and there is no foglight relay in there. I have Chiltons and Haynes manuals and neither one shows the foglight relay on any schematic. Haynes says its located at interface module bracket. Any where else this harness could be stowed or am I just missing a harness? Any suggestions? Thinking about running power through the factory switch straight to the fogs, but the schematics I have are obviously incorrect. I need to figure out the easiest way to get power to the harness I do have.

Why don't you run the lights through a ground and a relay from Radio Shack and wire a switch into your dash?

That is an option. the connectors hooked up to the lights now are for power and a ground. I was hoping to tap into the power lead up under the dash if i can identify it and could use the factory switch if I can find a good pinout for it. I have a factory relay just no where to put it. Factory connector or a solder job could take care of that. Just trying to figure out the wire run for what is there.

This is what I followed when I installed stockers in my car

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/500739/5

Except I used an aftermarket wiring harness/switch. Not sure how you could incorporate the stock switch into it. Eventually I just used the ignition wire as the signal for my relay(still have an aftermarket switch to turn off as I please) so that they turn off when I turn the car off.

This is what I followed when I installed stockers in my car

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/500739/5

Except I used an aftermarket wiring harness/switch. Not sure how you could incorporate the stock switch into it. Eventually I just used the ignition wire as the signal for my relay(still have an aftermarket switch to turn off as I please) so that they turn off when I turn the car off.

Thanks,
That was some good info and might be worthy of linking. I had to make a bracket to install fogs from BAT when I was under the impresssion they would bolt right up. Imagine my displeasure while I was up under the car figureing this out. I had already drawn up a circuit that was almost identical to that one. I may still try to use the wiring i have, I will just have to use my trusty ammeter to figure it out. If I can't that tutorial is the way to go. Foglight indicator was also on my mind that tutorial will help there as well.:laugh:

Thought I'd revive this thread because I am in the exact same situation and the original question was never really answered.

The wiring is there, I installed a factory foglight/headlight switch, bulbs are good. so why dont the fogs work?

Thought I'd revive this thread because I am in the exact same situation and the original question was never really answered.

The wiring is there, I installed a factory foglight/headlight switch, bulbs are good. so why dont the fogs work?
your probably missing the fog lamp relay.

Thats susposed to be under the dash right by the headlight switch isnt it?

I'll check for it again, if its not there a relay could be wired into the factory switch.

It just doest make sense that Ford would put in all the bottom wiring and leave all the switch area undone.

When installing stock foggies, you will need the relay. There is also a center plug that connects to the headlight switch with more wires to run. Also there are two other wires that need to be ran to a harness under the dash.

Trust me guys, Get a Ford Manual from Todras and a Haynes manual and find someone that can read schematics.

I suggest going to the junkyard, pull a switch from a car and take as much of the wiring behind the switch as you can get out...

To date, I believe theres only two people (myself being the first) that have pulled this off.

Or call Bill Jenkins, A while back they did sell a fog light kit for adding factory foglihts on cars that didnt come with them....

Last edited:
Yeah,I ordered a CD a few weeks agofrom Todras but I dont know if he has sent it yet. I have a Haines manualbut that has to be the biggest POS waste of money.

PS. Thanks for the reply

No, you're gonna want to take a look at the wiring schematics in the back of the book.....

You should get your CD pretty quick, Todd had mine here like two days after I paid him.

Last edited:
I had the same exact problem when I went to install fog lights. I had the fog light connectors there, but no relay under the dash. I went to a yard and took all the parts I needed and wired it in the way it came from the factory (ie. ran wires to the turn signal switch, instrument cluster, headlight switch, fog lamp relay, and finally to the central junction box. It took some time, but it works.

fogs

fogs

When I did mine the connectors for the fog lamps were there but did not have power on them and would not read to ground. There was no foglamp relay. I cut the connectors out and used them for my own wiring. There were 2 open slots in the flip down fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side. I used two add a circuit connectors with 15 amp fuses to power the lights and a added relay. The factory fog lamp switch was used to provide a ground to the relay, pins 8 and 10 at the splice area for the switch. Grounds for the lights were wired in parallel and the two power wires were spiced and run into the cockpit on a single wire.

Attachments

• Fog Print.pdf
    14.5 KB · Views: 0
Back