• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Focus/Cougar/Mondeo steering wheel retrofit project

Nate Payeur

CEG'er
My steering wheel is getting pretty worn and i started looking around for replacement SVT wheels, but its slim pickings and they're mostly in terrible condition. I'm not a big fan of the stock SVT wheel anyway. Compared to my M5, it's too big, too skinny, doesnt have thumb locators and just too plain looking. I was wondering if any of the Focus wheels would fit. Even the stock Focus wheel has the thumb locators. The RS wheel looks like a much better design as well as the 01+ Cougar wheel. Even the Mondeo and ST200/ST220 wheel looks better.

Now i know the Mondeo and Cougar wheels will almost certainly physically fit, but does anyone know if the connections for the airbag and cruise control from Focus, Cougar or Mondeo would fit the stock wiring for the Contour?

Has anyone attempted this before?

someone over on TCCA put a mountainier wheel in their 3rd gen taurus. they had to do some rewiring but it wasnt too difficult.
i think most ford wheels will fit but your on your awon as to wiring lol

I've swapped the 99-00 cougar wheel on my tour. Its a direct swap. And from my understanding the 01-02 cougar wheels would be as well.

P1010264.jpg

So thats good news... gives us the option for a Cougar swap.

Has anyone tried the Focus wheels or know if they are pin compatible with the cruise and airbag connectors?

Does anyone have a close up of the Focus airbag and or Contour airbag connectors?

As long as you have wiring diagrams or take the time to figure out what wire does what, any ford wheel should be a direct swap. A FR500 steering wheel would be totally badass but that's VERY expensive for a steering wheel lol. Plus you'd have to pin a Mustang airbag in but I can't imagine it'd be too hard as they made them in the same years.

Last week I got in a 2000 Cougar black wheel, matching black airbag, black column trim AND a fitted domed SVT insert to go in place of the cougar insert. Will be installing it all this weekend and am stoked for having a black steering wheel again. Now I just need to swap out my warped dash for my unwarped one and my interior is dunzo.

Last week I got in a 2000 Cougar black wheel, matching black airbag, black column trim AND a fitted domed SVT insert to go in place of the cougar insert. Will be installing it all this weekend and am stoked for having a black steering wheel again. Now I just need to swap out my warped dash for my unwarped one and my interior is dunzo.

Be sure and post some pics when it's done! PM Parkedcar, he can hook you up with a vinyl overlay (Ford, SVT, build number, whatever you want) for the Mercury emblem. I'm working on a 2001 Cougar Steering wheel swap. I have some intresting mod idea's to make it flow with a MNB interior and look stock.

I'm doing it tomorrow or the next day. Already have a domed logo that completely takes the place of the Cougar logo insert. Popped the OEM insert out REALLY carefully with a butter knife and the new one sticks on. Parkedcar is not doing domed overlays right now, he's the first one I PM'd. A few guys at NECO hooked me up with another place that had what I wanted. I am going to swap over the cruise buttons too, I don't like the +,-,= crap, just a nitpicky thing. Swap should take under an hour. I go slow lol.

I'm crazy about the wheel in my SVT Focus; I'd love to fit one of those in my Cougar. I'm also curious to know if anyone has any info on airbag plug compatibility...

You can just repin them if worst comes to worse... don't know how the cruise controls would work but that FSVT wheel is pretty badass... Maybe I should have gone that route lol. Eh, there is always later on, I got my black Cougar swap done almost a month back and I love it.

Back