• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Flubbing RMV!

baco99

Hard-core CEG'er
So, I went to title the Ghia at the Registry this morning. After waiting 20 minutes in a line in the rain, and another 20 minutes inside while all the workers get their coffee and chat about their commute, my number was fialy called.

I'm 90% through the transaction and the lady wants me to pay $160 Tax on the car... WHAT??? I paid $1000 for it, so the tax should only be $50. She tells me the book value of the car is $3200 and I need to pay the tax on that. If I want to go around it, I need to got to the Dept of Revenue in Chelsea and argue it with them. HOW F--ING RIDICULOUS IS THIS STATE?????

So, I walked out, got to work 90 mins late, and got absolutely no where.

uh..sorry brian but that is how it is here.
unless you bought it from a dealer they dont care what you paid.
they go by book value.

i am going to luck out on the crown vic, i bought it from a dealer and i paid way less than book value.
but i got screwed on the truck...paid $150 for it and had to pay $175 in sales tax!!!

I find this strange because for any of my other old cars (MG, Mercedes, and Saab), I only paid tax on the sell price as shown on the title. On top of the fact that a title is now $50!!! I wouldn't mind if I were going to keep the car, but I think I already have a buyer to get my cash out of the deal. This tax thing would put me in the hole by 15%.

The only time I paid book value was for the bike since the sell price as only $1 on the title. That made sense to me. This makes no sense. $1000 is real money and market price for a car that needs restoration.

titles have been $50 for as long as i can remember.

well...the only other reason they would charge tax based on the sale price, is if the sale price i higher than the book, or the vehicle doesnt have a book listed for it.

Back