• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

first time to track

svtkev

CEG'er
finally made it out to test and tune and made a few passes, trying to take it easy on the stock tranny, kinda dissapointed , but this is the infamous spring zing 06 track in osceola where no one could seem to put down a good run, first off heres my mods..
UNTUNED 04 escape 3L, svt cams, svt intakes, stock svt airbox,fidanza flywheel,spec stage 1 clutch, msds headers and y-pipe,magnaflow resonator, bassani cat-back
18 inch wheels ,38 psi , full system in trunk , at least 125 lbs or more,crappy nankang tires, NO BURNOUTS

first run...
reaction .7839
60 ft 2.5730
et @ 594 ft 9.5971
1/8 et 10.2351
1/8 mph 70.53
1/4 et 15.7072
1/4 mph 87.53

second run...
reaction .6761
60 ft 2.4800
et @ 594 ft 9.4580
1/8 et 10.0839
1/8 mph 71.90
1/4 et 15.5218
1/4 mph 88.94

third run...
reaction .6360
60 ft 2.3448
et @ 594 ft 9.3238
1/8 et 9.9450
1/8 mph 72.44
1/4 et 15.3809
1/4 mph 89.82

fourth run...
reaction .1008
60 ft 2.3322
et @ 594 ft 9.1934
1/8 et 9.8192
1/8 mph 71.90
1/4 et 15.3011
1/4 mph 88.23

on the fifth run my spec clutch slipped so bad i thought i broke something, so i stopped after that run

fast forward to the next day , i drove to home depot and back and as i was backing into the driveway i heard a noise and thought i ran something over, everything seemed ok so i continued to back up the driveway which is when i noticed the line of royal purple oil running down the driweway..ouch
hole in bottom of trans case, im guessing the diff let go , looks like its torsen time, oh well it was fun while it lasted

Last edited:
Man i hope its just that track, i was doing 15.5 on my 2.5 stockish.

now with the 3liter i hope to drop significantly.....

Come to think of it, being nice to your trans probably had something to do with it too.....

What RPM did you launch at? I like to launch with the secondaries open so it wont bog when it bites....

well everyone who came to that track for SZ06 said it was a crappy track and they all ran slower times that their local tracks , for example Y2KSVT ran a 15.3 and said he runs a 14.4 at his track , so i dont know , but i am a drag racing newb so i probably didnt do as good as another person might , but i was getting faster every run till my clutch started giving me problems, also the third run i was neck and neck with a 01 mustang gt that had at least an exhaust on it, i would think that car would be faster than low 15s,:shrug:

well everyone who came to that track for SZ06 said it was a crappy track and they all ran slower times that their local tracks , for example Y2KSVT ran a 15.3 and said he runs a 14.4 at his track , so i dont know , but i am a drag racing newb so i probably didnt do as good as another person might , but i was getting faster every run till my clutch started giving me problems, also the third run i was neck and neck with a 01 mustang gt that had at least an exhaust on it, i would think that car would be faster than low 15s,:shrug:

I am guessing the guy in the stang was pooping a brick. " a contour is running as fast as me?!??!"

Yes, Osceola Dragway is a dump of a track. Well, atleast it is for slow-ish FWD cars. I was running mid 14's consistently at my regular track, and couldn't pull down anything better than a 15.3 at Osceola. Muncie Dragway isn't really known for great times, but you can get out of the hole decently. You should hit Muncie Dragway up sometime, or go up to Michigan to 151.

Mark

Those 60' times could probably use a little work I think (might've just been the track) but thats still better than my first time to the track :laugh:

Your trap speeds at under 90 seem low to me for a 3L. I think those are about what I was trapping on with my car with the 2.5L.

Ditch the system, get a tune and some tires and go back :)

Last edited:
Man i hope its just that track, i was doing 15.5 on my 2.5 stockish.

now with the 3liter i hope to drop significantly.....

Come to think of it, being nice to your trans probably had something to do with it too.....

What RPM did you launch at? I like to launch with the secondaries open so it wont bog when it bites....

No, it wasn't just the track.

Its his Untuned 3L.

Do a search in here for the dyno sheets i posted.

We gained upwards of 50HP @ 1500 RPM due to a Dyno tune.

I went from a high 15, to pushiing high 14's right now. (stock diff, can't launch hard)

This was just from the tune it self. When you pick up 50 HP from 1500 RM to 3800 RPM it makes a HUGE difference! (this is with a full 3L)

I'd love to hit the track after a tune - I've launched my car multiple times @ 6K without any issues, burn out for 10 feet and hook like a mo-****er. I also need to address my motor mounts, cant hit 2nd when I'm launching like that...

well since my trans broke the next day(112,000 mls), i am popping another stock trans in for the rest of this year (car goes in storage for winter) then i will build my original trans over the winter, as far as the tune i am waiting for the nautilus s/c kit to be released then possibly pickup one of them and tune after it is installed

No, it wasn't just the track.

Its his Untuned 3L.

You've undoubtedly never been to Osceola Dragway. Sure, a tune will benefit him in a big way, but a decent track will atleast justify the motor that he worked so hard to build. When you're half way through 2nd gear and hit a 2" bump in the track, causing your tires to go up in smoke, you know there's an issue with the track. Also, I'm not sure if Kevin is still running with secondaries or not, so I can't say whether he'll pickup the same 50HP that you did.

Mark

Back