• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Finally completely ready for winter

BrApple

No Life But CEG
Took some time to figure out what one I wanted but I finally got a snow blower for the new house. Took until after the blizzard to decide. The place I went to was able to get it for me last week. Last night was the first chance to really use it. Looks like I'll get to again a few more times this week.
snowblower.jpg

The other half of being ready for the winter is the generator for the house. Got a Generac 8,000 watt generator a number of months ago. Still haven't had to use it luckily.

All I can say is I am glad the blizzard was not heavy snow. It was actually not to bad to clean up from. Now last Monday with the ice mixed in was not fun.

I'm not interested in any of that white stuff here. I actually rode to work on my motorcycle with shorts on yesterday. 55 degrees at 6 am on Feb. 9, awesome.

That's quite a beast. If it's anything like the older ones, with annual maintenance it will last your lifetime and then some.

That's quite a beast. If it's anything like the older ones, with annual maintenance it will last your lifetime and then some.

Pretty close. I could have gone with a 32" model, now that is a beast. But after looking at all of the models side by side the 30 inch was an optimum size. Had I gone with a 28 inch unit it would have taken another pass to clear the driveway versus something larger.

And I also made sure to get the largest engine I could on the model that I got. My brother-in-law just went to Home Depot and got a Deluxe 28 inch model. Its working for him but he says it doesn't throw the snow far enough. But then again at his garage the driveway is at least 36 ft wide but it is very short.

Needless to say I was able to dive straight into the plow wash along the street and it was not fazed at all.

I also already installed a "mod" on it. Put on a set of non-abrasive skid shoes.

You will be happy with it I have had mine for 8+ years. 28in with a tecumseh 8.5 It has gone through the real blizzard 2 years ago and I had to do two big driveways with it. My neighbors were fighting to blow it and it just plowed through. It is intresting to see how they have changed since mine has come out you get some better parts/features compared to the price point of the time. I did get mine as a refurb for $450 though. The only thing I wish it had was a way to release a wheel for turning. I don't know how anyone can complain about how far the ariens throws snow I have never had an issue with the distance and rarely if ever gets clogged. It does depend on the snow for how far it will throw it though. Defenitly a good buy and will last you.

Yeah, I don't get it either, unless it was heavy snow and he wanted it to go the 36 ft across the driveway from one side. But then again I know that often when Home Depot setup up snow blowers it isn't done right. But not sure why a new unit would need the belts adjusted.

And I am sure it will last a good number of years too. Mine has the auto turn, which is a new thing in the last few years. Works nice. Very different from the snowbird I have used in the past where the wheels could be unlocked from the drive.

The other thing is Ariens no longer uses the Tecumseh engines. All but the professional models have there own Ariens AX engine, which is not made in China. The pro models get a Briggs and Straton engine.

Back