• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Final Drive Identification

gorman

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys;

can someone tell me please, how to tell the 4.06 FD from the 3.82 and 3.5. I need to put my tranny back on my engine and I want to do the swap before I do ... Thanks ...G.

count the number of teeth on both the ring and pinion gears and do the math is the only real way unless they have part numbers stamped on them somewhere.

Hey Dan; how you doin'

I've been scooting around contour.org. I need to double check if i have the 2 part or 3 part shaft too.

I can't see the pictures on .org, coz i'm not logged in and some of the jpg's i googled have been deleted or moved.

I was hoping someone had the ring and pinions handy so i can go searching with the info. in hand.

Info. i have is my 4.06 FD has 65 teeth and pinion has 17
(edit; this now appears to be wrong, it is a 3.82) FD = Ring gear teeth/ pinion gear teeth.

p.s. what's happening on the LCA front ? ... four bolts got dropped from the recent GB interest check thread ...G.

count the number of teeth on both the ring and pinion gears and do the math is the only real way unless they have part numbers stamped on them somewhere.
i just divided 65 by 17 and got 3.82. Is this what you meant ? It seems odd that the rev's at 70mph using this transmission was over 3000 when others were reporting lower figures than that with a 3.82 FD. that's why i assumed it was a 4.06. Any advice ? ... G.

yes, thats what i meant by the math. I would also double and triple check your count on the ring gear, as its pretty easy to skip a tooth or count one twice.

what size tires do you have on the car? with 215/50/16s the 3.82 FD at 70MPH should have the RPMs about 2800-2900.

yes, thats what i meant by the math. I would also double and triple check your count on the ring gear, as its pretty easy to skip a tooth or count one twice.

what size tires do you have on the car? with 215/50/16s the 3.82 FD at 70MPH should have the RPMs about 2800-2900.

my tires are 215 55 16. I still have my original 16" rims.

I've just been playing with a tire/gear ratio calculator too and got figures similar to those you quoted. I also worked out that i would need 215 55 17 tires to increase my road speed for a given rpm that i already achieve.

I also looked in my haynes manual and all V6 tran's in the UK have a 3.82 FD ... maybe you guys should just ship V6 tran's over.
The one i took off my car had 185k miles on it and the diff is still perfect .

how are the performance parts coming along ? .... G.

Back