• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ever open a MTX?

jd2-98s

Veteran CEG'er
Well sad to say the MTX is eatting up a sync. Bad chatter, very loud. I have the input and output shafts from the tranny that was in it that blew out the diff. They really don't look bad at all.

Question is, if I rip this thing apart, is it going to be an act of god to put it back together?

I don't have the money right now to get another, nor spend money on a R&R. So if I want to keep it going this is the only option for now.

I've done lots of work on all aspects of cars and trucks. But have never messed with a gearbox... I'm guess no special tools should be needed if I'm changing over the whole shaft...

Stop me now if you think I will not be able to get it back together :)

You should be fine man. I have torn open at least 20 MTXs and swapping the internals out straight up is very easy for an able mechanic, which you seem like you are. :)

The one and only transmission I've ever worked inside was the MTX-75 and it was cake.

I did shift forks and a Torsen and it couldn't be easier.

There is a youtube video that someone put together for installing a LSD in a trans of ours. That might help give you an idea what you have to do.

The one and only transmission I've ever worked inside was the MTX-75 and it was cake.

I did shift forks and a Torsen and it couldn't be easier.

did you check the bearing pre-loads when you installed the torsen? I know many just install them and they work fine but there are things that should be checked before just throwing it together.

did you check the bearing pre-loads when you installed the torsen? I know many just install them and they work fine but there are things that should be checked before just throwing it together.

I found that out after. I was still clueless about cars at the time when I did my motor swap. 50k miles on it since install and no problems though. :shrug:

I found that out after. I was still clueless about cars at the time when I did my motor swap. 50k miles on it since install and no problems though. :shrug:

I know that many have done just that and its hasn't been an issue. but to be 100% correct it isn't that simple.

Thankyou all for the help :) Air thanks for the props mon, :) French I will watch the fingas ;)

I hope to start this next weekend, have to bring some tools from work. Just sucks because I had it out about a month and a half ago, but wasn't doing this noise. I did have the onset of a noise but thought it was something else... Just sucks I have so much debt to get rid of first, even if I didn't have the debt I wouldn't by another car yet. But would look for a shop that would do a good r&r so I wouldn't have to worry about it again.

So I guess really there is no special tricks or anything to really watch out for, other than after its together and before installing it, make sure it shifts threw the gears and turn the input shaft by hand in each gear..

Yes there is one shim in the bellhousing side under the bearing race for the diff, this shim changes the amount of pressure exerted on the roller bearings. But it doesn't look like he is replacing it, just one of the shafts. Like aircougar said based on what I have seen you can definitely do this.

Stock and Torsen diffs really aren't any different when swapping them out and installing new bearings, etc... I have measured so many of them and they are all the same measurements. The quaife diff definitely has to be shimmed, or at least measured for preload on the bearings. its an aftermarket diff, so better to be safe than sorry with that one.

If you are just replacing syncros, etc on the input/output shafts, you shouldnt even half to worry about any shims being swapped out. if there is one under a race and you are replacing the race, just replace it from where it was originally, and you should be fine.

Good Luck man.

I'll inspect the other part while in there, but pretty sure all I have to worry about is the input shaft with the syncs on it. I don't for see any issues with the forks, but also want to make sure the diff gears look ok, and the output shaft gears are good also. But again this will be next week. I'll have to grab the engine brace from work again..

SSPX0296.jpg

So started the job today, at about 1:30ish pm and about 6pm have the tranny apart.

Found out that the sync's are good. The problem. The output shaft front bearing cage snapped, and the input shafts rear bearing cage snapped. Both plastic.

The plus is the input shaft going in has metal cage for the bearing, the output shaft however doesn't but seem to look good. I guess the outter race real was the only thing holding the bearing together...

Back