• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine noise...possible causes?

Go ahead and do the 3.0 swap you'll be amazed at the power difference once you're done.

If you do decide to do a swap keep posting your progress and questions/troubles.

Good luck.

P.S. I just listened to your video and it souns identical to what mine sounded like.

Last edited:
I'd really like to do it, but I have very little cash to work with. My resources are down to about $800 ($300 of which is labor) so in all actuality I only have about $500 for parts. And from the way it sounds that won't cover it. So far this is what I am gonna have done.

Crank kit (Crank,mains,new rods, rod bearings) $239.00 after $169.00 core
Rear main seal $9.99
Oil pan gasket $28.99
Timing cover gasket $15.99

Rough total $300
+ $300 Labor

Or are there other recommendations?

I'd wait two more weeks, get a little bump in cash and go for an 01 or 02 Escape(etc) 3L for that sie of a parts budget.

If you're going to do it once, you may as well do it in a way that you will ENJOY.. and not just "put it back like it was" for $800-1000

If I pay a thousand dollars to repaid something, you better dang well believe that I am GOING to see a performance increase for that money!

I'd wait two more weeks, get a little bump in cash and go for an 01 or 02 Escape(etc) 3L for that sie of a parts budget.

If you're going to do it once, you may as well do it in a way that you will ENJOY.. and not just "put it back like it was" for $800-1000

If I pay a thousand dollars to repaid something, you better dang well believe that I am GOING to see a performance increase for that money!

I don't see a bump in money comming any time soon. Too many other obligations come before the Tour unfortunately. I guess my plan is to get it running again. Drive it for a bit, and then when my truck is paid off I'm gonna have to send her on her way. I'm kinda interested in the Saab 9-3's or Volvo S40's. But the Tour has been a fun car so far.

Well yesterday I pulled the bottom of my old motor and sure enough the rod closest to the flywheel was totally shot. I'll try to post a pic of the bearings

Did you have a blow headgasket that let coolant into the oil?
No Head gaskets were fine. I'm even using the heads on my 3L hybrid motor now. I suppose that I could have gotten away with just changing the rod bearing. And putting it back together but this was a good excuse to change it out.

Last edited:
Well I've had her back for about a week and a half and she's running great! While I had the engine out I deleted the AC compressor as it was seized and useless, also took off the UIM and B12'd the crap out of it and the TB. Like driving a new car. But of course now the Dside wheel bearing is humming like a MoFo :mad: But my mechanic says he'll do the bearing for $15 labor :laugh:

As for what was done:

New crank,rods,mains, crank bearings,and all the associated gaskets (including new one for the UIM).

Total cost?

$450

Back