• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

EEK -- Miss the SVT even more now

Phil Rohtla

Hard-core CEG'er
The Bimmer started making a weird noise a couple of days ago -- turns out something's wrong with the cam chain guides. Big money. I think the most I spent on the Contour was $900, and that was at the dealer. Yeesh.

Its part of the deal of having the joy to drive 10 year old bimmer

Yep, I knew what I was in for -- but this isn't common.

Hi Phil,

That is a very uncommon problem on the M62 engine. Do you have a good indy BMW guy?

How many k on your 5?

Nate

Yep, uncommon, but apparently does happen. A coworker of my girlfriend's has a buddy that used to be the local 7-series guru, and he did this job a bunch of times, all soon after 130K, so it's hard to say.

I have ~170K kms on the Bimmer. And my guy is pretty good. I had been to a local shop called Otto's numerous times, but my guy is closer, cheaper, and he does good work.

How much are they quoting you for the fix?

It's very strange... i've never heard of this issue on the S62 M5 engine, which is basically a bored out M62 with dual Vanos. Did they say what is involved to repair?

When working at BMW I came across this issue a few times with the non M model 5 series. Giving the price to the customer was always exciting:help:.

Aaron

How much are they quoting you for the fix?

It's very strange... i've never heard of this issue on the S62 M5 engine, which is basically a bored out M62 with dual Vanos. Did they say what is involved to repair?

Well, there's a bit more than that to it -- All M62s had dual Vanos after 1999 -- an S62 shares very few parts with the M62, AFAIK. Heck, the eight individual throttle bodies alone indicate a big difference.

My guy says ~10 hours, and he's not sure about parts yet -- but he's figuring on over $1000. Most of them are from BMW. Also, he doesn't want to put some of the old parts back, such as the timing chain. I have asked him to look at some other parts that will need to come off (water pump, fan clutch), and replace them as well -- why tear it all down again later.

Back