• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Educate me on the Vortech V9F

ExDelayed

CEG'er
It was on my old SVT years ago until the motor blew, and has been sitting on the shelf in the garage since then. The SVT was a complete piece of •••• and I unloaded it, but I kept the supercharger. I know I have misplaced a few items, but I am wanting to put it back into service on something that will be just stupid fun. I remember there were problems with the jackshaft, but I honestly can't remember what they were. Weren't there two jackshaft styles, and one was more desirable?

When I had the SVT, my daily driver was a Zetec. I honestly never paid much attention to the Duratec performance goodies, because the SVT was already quick enough (and didn't stay around long). Tell me whatever you can, good and bad. I need to find out what I can about it. I already have its specs off of Vortech's site.

I know my subject is misspelled, btw. ;)

Hey ExDelayed;

if you have the early spline driveshaft ...... sell the kit to one of the guys.

if you have the later driveshaft ........sell the kit to one of the guys

if you just have the head unit ........ gonna cost a packet to get a kit to fit it to your current car

............. G.

As I understand it there are 3 revisions of the kit. The first two are both spline drive and are junk. The third is the 'pin drive' which is suppossed to be reliable but very few were made at that point due to the high failure rate of the first two revisions. Some have done 'fixes' to this to avoid the $2k vortech wants to update to the pin drive but it seems they are hit or miss...

My Cougar has 80k miles on it with the Vortech and it looks like the pin drive update was done by Vortech at about 10-15k into that. So it seems that the pin drive is fairly reliable.

The pin drive has three pins coming off the jackshaft and onto the input of the supercharger, right?

I had the revised version pin style jackshaft. It crapped out on me, took it to a machine shop got a coupler that spins up in the high Teens(18,000 IIRC). Its also pin style with 2 set screws and the machine shop made me a custom coupler overlay and mounting bracket. No problems. I have the specs for everything somewhere and it would take me a few days to dig it out but i've had no problems with the blower/jackshaft. Now problems with engine/wiring harness/radiator is a different storry :blackeye:.

Back